• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Welsh or English Springer Spaniel

Goodman

What is the difference between an English Springer Spanial and a Welsh Springer Spaniel. Is one a better hunting dog or are the basically the same type of hunting dog with a different look and size.

Thanks in Advance - Eric

I am a English Springer guy, but I believe the only real differance is that the Welsh Springer is just a little smaller and only comes in liver & white. They are 2 -3 inches shorter a a few lbs lighter that an Englsih Springer. They both are flushing dogs. They have the same temperment and personality.

When I was growing up we had an English Springer. He was a great dog, but one day he started acting aggressive and biting people for no apparent reason. At the time the vet called it Spring Fever, I think it's more commonly referred to as Rage, and I believe it's an issue primarily with English Springers.

SpringerGuy - have you heard of this, perhaps you have more insight?

I'm not trying to steer you away from an English Springer, just something to look into, especially if you have small children. Up to the point of him biting people our dog was awesome...friendly with people, loved to hunt and loved the water.

I have read about "Springer Rage" however I have not talked to anyone who had a dog with it.

A few springers and I believe most breeds can have what is referred to as Property Protective Syndrome. Maybe it's the same thing but called by different names.

The dog does not want anyone it does not know on his property and gets aggressive with that person. Even people walking by or kids riding their bikes by the dog will have a fit. Take the dog away from home and the dog will love everybody because they are not a threat to the dogs property.

99.something % of springers love everybody. They enjoy being with people and actually do better when they are a member of the family and in the house at least at night. My dogs are 50/50 dogs for the most part.

Springer Guy is wrong on the coloring. The welsh springer only comes in red and white, unlike the english which can be black and white or liver and white.

He is correct on the smaller size of the welsh usually around 35 to 40 pounds and a few inches shorter than the english. They have very similar temperments and they are both flushers.

Personally I like the compact size of my Welsh, she is my first one and I couldnt be happier. Beautiful red coloring, great personality, and one hell of a hunter. She can run the pheasant fields and the grouse woods all day long, unlike some of the labs that we hunt with that tend to tire out by mid afternoon.

All in all they are both similar dogs, my father in law has a english and they both hunt equally well. I wouldnt trade my Luce for the world though.

There are two basic breedings with springers. Field bred ESS's and Show bred ESS's. If you are looking for a hunting dog make sure it's a Field bred dog with really good lines. This is very important!

Also, Springers come in 3 colors and not two. Liver and White, Black and White, and Tri-color. You will not see many Tri-color dogs since more are Liver or Black and White.

Springer Rage is a thing that showed up in show bred english Springer Spaniel lines and to my knowledge was not a issue with field bred lines. The only way it would get into a field bred line is if a person crossed a field bred to a show bred. I currently own 2 field breds that are both from a field champion father and they are great dogs. I would never want to own a show bred.

Thanks for the update. I had a lab and looking for a little smaller dog and had heard good things about the spanial breed

Goodman,

check out Sand Creek Kennels of Montgomery. Bill Produces nice dogs. I also have a web site you could check out. email at [email protected] if you want the site. I would list it here but don't know if I can on this site.

I purchased my female from bill at Sand Creek and part of the agreement was that i would breed her back to FC Fallen wings Cool Hand Cole. I got my male from this breeding and he has turned out to be a good dog. My future plans for him would be to cross him to a female from Chuck Nelson's Door Creek Line to get my next pup.

I got mine from a breeder down in Dexter, MN- (Dianne Whipple)She is more of a hobby breeder and not a large operation

The dog didn't come with guarentees, but the parents were all certified, with excellent hips..etc... both of the parents also came from champion lines so I knew the hunting instinct was in the dog.

I talked with a lot of different breeders in the midwest and the one I was most impressed with was Whispering Pines Kennels- Three Lakes, WI- He had a lot of experience with the spaniel breeds and was very knowledgeable- my next dog will be from him

Overall I am very happy with my dog, she is nearly 2 years old and the hunting instinct is very strong in her, I also couldnt ask for a better personality from a dog, she makes a great hunting companion and the perfect family/house dog- the other thing I like about the breed...it's not something that everyone else in the field has, pretty rare dog