• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ok all you fish biologists.

DTro

So just recently, Eagle Eye Aanderud has been noticing some strange beings that are on the Flatheads we’ve been catching. For all I know they have been there all along and just lately started noticing them.

At any rate the thing is about the size of a fish scale, is clear, gelatin like and sort of looks like a very tiny jellyfish or ray. If you look closely, you can see the thing swimming around on the surface of the fish like some sort of an amoeba.

I have a picture I can post later.

What the heck is this?

I don't think it is the Spiney Water Flea - at least they have not yet been determined to be this far south. By all accounts they are primarily located to the north, near Duluth, in the St Louis River system.

I think what you have seen is some type of algea. The warm water allows that stuff to grow pretty aggressively at this time of year.

Here is a link to some info on the Spiney Water Flea:

Spiny Water Flea

Well it was definately alive and moving. I'm sure the pictures will help with an ID. I looked up the water flea and there is a chance it could be that.

Ok, looking at that link, there were no "spines" on this thing. It was round with little flaps like wings.

I have been noticing a lot of slime wrapped around my line this year, kinda a jelly substance and doesn't come off very easily. I haven't noticed anything on the fish, but I haven't inspected them much either. I will pay closer attention now that you bring it up. I cant wait for the picture, as I am curious now.

Well the jelly stuff on your line sounds like SWF's. We got them in the LOTW and that stuff balls up on your line in a jellyish looking mass with fur.

dtro, suppose them bugs are maybe a fish louse of one kind or a nudder?

Anything is possible I guess.

I've had the ball of jelly on my line several times but only after catching a smaller fish and having it roll up my line. I've just assumed that was just slime. Never had the spines or cottony deal (other than the darn cottonwood seeds mad )

Considering how the fish sit on the bottom without moving for long periods of time, it could be the larvae of many creatures. I am think maybe a mollusk larvae.

Google the images of mollusk and clam larvae, maybe adding Minnesota to the search and see what comes up. You can also try Glochidia. Me at worky.

I have noticed it for the last few years and thought nothing of it. I was thinking some sort of frog egg, but ya they are flat and I noticed that they are on more of my fish the closer I get to jordan chaska area. There aren't as many the closer you get to the st.paul

Those things remind me of some alien critters I saw on an episode from the original Star Trek series!! I do see them somewhat regular on fishes from the LOTW, Walleye and Pikes, seems they like larger sized fish too!

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
Creepy little critters! I will have to keep an eye out and see if I can find any of those. Maybe they infect the meet on the large cats, and make the meat un-edible shocked

That would be nice!

I think until this gets thoroughly investigated, all large cats should be immediately released! grin