• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WiFi Dog Fence or Underground??

zelek

I have an underground fence. House I live in came with one but I had to overhaul it since half of it got ripped up with road construction. That was a year ago and no problems since. Seeing that I have a Great Dane and a Lab, I have set the stimulation at a longer distance for the Great Dane's size. Neither of the dogs cross it with their collars on. BUT they seem to test the limits (without collars on) from time to time. I really like that I can make zones with the underground model (front and back yards). How long the wires will last in the ground til I need to replace them??? not sure. I've heard five or so years. Only real problem, so far, is that other dogs can still come into my yard. Great Danes apparantly don't like that too much. We are looking into a six foot fence.

I have the Invisible fence system and love it. My lot is between 1/3 to 1/2 acre. They created zones in mine by running the wire along my house so it's almost like a figure 8 pattern. That way I can keep the dog in one zone or another. I'm going on 9 years with my wire and my folks are at 11 years. I had another dog with an invisible fence system get out of his yard then stuck in mine.

My friend has one of those systems that is wifi, I think the max on that system is 250 feet. It works for her and she has two yappy little dogs, but my GWP wouldn't be happy with only 250 ft to run.

If you get Invisible fence watch were they put in the fence, so you know when you are digging. Also the down side is that I have to be careful if I core areator my yard, which will cut the fence if I hit it.

They claim this new Perimeter WiFi System is suppposed to be good for up to a 200 foot radius and cover about 2.5 acres. I'm a little skeptical though.

I'm leaning toward the underground wire, but if I were to have it installed it would cost upwards of $1700 if I did the whole 5 1/2 acres and still $1100 if I scaled it back to 3/4 of an acre. I'm waiting to hear back from a guy that rents out his trencher. Maybe I can do it myself for less.

Is there anyone else that could offer a little insight??

I just put in the underground fence because we adopted a boxer and were told she had climbed over a 6ft fence. She didn't because we already had a dog and now she has someone to play with. She now doesn't go near the fence and I don't have to worry about her going over or digging under. We were up at the lake for a week so I thought I would try it up there and was shocked how well it worked. She went threw it once because I was walking the other dog. So I shocked her a couple of times and turned up the juice. I only did the part by the lake so when she leaves the area, I take her through the cabin so she knows she's ok. I bought the Sportdog brand that you have to bury the wire and got it in Rogers at the big outdoor store. It cost alitte over $200 and now I can just bring the unit back and forth.

They claim this new Perimeter WiFi System is suppposed to be good for up to a 200 foot radius and cover about 2.5 acres. I'm a little skeptical though.

I'm leaning toward the underground wire, but if I were to have it installed it would cost upwards of $1700 if I did the whole 5 1/2 acres and still $1100 if I scaled it back to 3/4 of an acre. I'm waiting to hear back from a guy that rents out his trencher. Maybe I can do it myself for less.

Is there anyone else that could offer a little insight??

Do it yourself. I did my yard in a few hours. That is including the trip to the hardware store to get the trencher. Now I live in the city with a smaller lot, but it took no time at all. I rented an edger, and just put the cable under the sod. Very easy. Very easy to train the hound also. I bought the petsafe brand and their customer service has been second to none.

I plan on installing an invisible fence in the next week or so. I was reading the instructions online and it said to place the unit inside the house. I was really planning on putting it in the garage. Has anybody had any trouble with the unit being int he garage?

I plan on installing an invisible fence in the next week or so. I was reading the instructions online and it said to place the unit inside the house. I was really planning on putting it in the garage. Has anybody had any trouble with the unit being int he garage?

Which are we talking about here? The wireless, or hard wired? I have had a hard wired unit in the garage for 7 years never had a problem with the unit itself. I have hit the cable, but that is a whole different story. I see know reason it should be in the house as opposed to the garage.

My unit stated the box must be in the house. Which I thought was wrong because my sprinkler unit was in the garage. Plus it would be the easiest spot to put and use it. So I called the manufacturer and they stated it was ok to be in the garage.

I have the Petsafe Wifi fence - I think it ran me just under $300 at Home Depot. I have nothing but great things to say about my unit.

I live on a regular suburban lot and my whole yard can be covered with the WiFi being about 1/4 of the way up. The unit is in the basement, which is a walkout, so the front yard is higher than the unit and the back yard is on plane. This doesnt effect the signal at all, however I have noticed that it doesnt emit a perfect circle for a signal.

The benefit of the unit is its simplicity and portability - think traveling or the cabin - the unit comes with and provides the dog with the same warning tone and stimulation they are used to at home.

Its a breeze to set up - dial the signal up so the edges stay off the street, carry a collar with you into the yard, mark the yard with the included flags when it beeps.

The only downside Ive noticed is that you will not cover your entire yard since it emits a circular signal. The unit should also be placed as close to the center of your PROPERTY in order to give the dog maximum space. Some homes may not have a convenient space to keep the unit.

Just my .02