• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor dies at low rpm and idle.

hoggs222

I've got a 2000 Lund 1700 adventure with a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke and at low speeds and neutral, it dies.

I talked with a guy who's a mechanic for a popular marina around the TC and his first question was what kind of gas are you running? I said premium, because that's what I've been using for the past year (I always used 87 before), pretty much when the problem started. His response was well that's more than likely your proplem.

I've drained the fuel, gonna put new fuel in. Any suggestions, comments, etc? Should I add some stabilizer?

Thanks in advance!

Did it work fine last fall and start acting up this spring? My money would be on improper storage (gas left in the carbs) and u now have plugged low speed jets and need a carb job. When you choke the motor will it run at low speed?

Adding stabilizer will do nothing for performance. Its just that, a stabilizer. Seafoam wont hurt anything, try it.

Start from scratch.

Check all hoses and connections.

Check the condition of the plugs.

Check for spark on all cylinders

Check compression.

Check the fuel filter.

Check the synchronization of the carbs (are they opening at the same time)

Check and reset the idle mixture screws, start at about 1 1/4-1 1/2 turns from lightly seated for a starting point.

It sounds like a dirty carb to me though.

Getting a baseline is very important for any troubleshooting.

Spark, fuel, compression