• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm trying to plan a weekend in the Apostles for fishing. Last year on a whim, we took off to Stockton Island and camped out there. I loved it, but the boss was a little nervous with the bears, no showers and the 30mph winds when we woke up the next day. I'm thinking for all these reasons camping on the mainland may be best.

I have looked into staying at Big Bay State Park but they don't sound too accommodating to boats. Is it possible to get into the lagoon and beach the boat?

Would like to have something where I could leave the boat beached or tied up in front of a lakeside campsite. How is the Apostle Island campground in Bayfield? Do they have lakeside camping? How far are they from the access? Any other spots close to good laker fishing?

Thanks for the suggestion SuperiorFishGuy. How is the fishing over there? Many nets in that area? I was amazed last summer at the number of barely marked (milk jugs,some painted black) nets around Stockton. Was thinking of trying the flats area this year...

Apostle Island campground is by the golf course with no lake access. Dalyrymple (sp?) in Bayfield is on the lake but has no safe harbor. I think your best bet is Little Sand Bay. I have caught lakers around sand Island, but I'm not an experienced deep water troller. You could also look into Washburn West Side Park. They have some camping with lake access. I'd be careful about leaving your boat beached. If the winds picked up it could be nasty.