• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reef Runner Problem

ccarlson

I had my box of Reef Runners sitting in the boat on Friday up at Rainy Lake while we were camping. It was a beautiful day, about 85 and sunny. I went to clean up the boat before a run to kettle falls and noticed that a couple of my clear plano style tackle trays were very hot from sitting in the sun but didn't think anything of it before putting them away in my boat storage.

Today I went to troll a reef runner and the entire box of baits is totally ruined. They all swelled up and morphed shapes. You would hardly recognize them.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them from getting too hot in the sun?

ccarlson

I ran into this problem a couple of years ago. I had a bunch of reef runners, yo-zuris, and storm lures melt. Rapala husky jerk-baits too, but no balsa lures. I thought it was the mirror finish on the crystal minnows bouncing light in the box like a magniying glass, but then had it happen on dull lures too. I then suspected the boxes which where purchased at Fleet Farm in bulk on a sharp discount.

I would love to be able to leave tackle boxe in the bottom of the boat,isn't that what they are for?

Udate: Got a call today from the reef runner company and they told me to send them in and they will replace them. The guy was really good about it. He said it will occassionaly happen and is due to the epoxy they use. If it doesn't dry all the way before the paint is applied, some of the gasses from the epoxy will remain in the hollow plastic body and expand in the extreme heat.

So, I'm very happy and will send them off tomorrow. I will be sure to keep them out of the sun on very hot days from now on.

ccarlson