• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Generator big enough?

fivebucks

Question

Need a little help from some people with electrical knowledge. I built a shower house up at the cabin. We have no electricity or running water. I have a rain barrel system to collect the water and will use a self priming in-line pump of some sort to pump the water to the shower. I plan to use a tankless hot water heater and I would prefer to use electric so I don't have to vent a gas one. The heater that would work for me requires the following:

Voltage: 240

Wattage: 9.6

Amperage: 40

min. circuit breaker: 50

My Honda EM3500SX generator has these specs:

Rated voltage: 120/240 v

Rated frequence: 60 Hz

Rated ampere: 25/12.5 A

Rated output: 3.0kVA

Max output: 3.5 kVA

I don't understand what all this is saying but I am looking to find out if my generator is big enough or if I'll have to go LP. I would also be running 1 or 2 lights along with a small water pump. I see 40 amps on the heater and 25 on the generator so I think it might be under powered.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!

6 answers to this question

Guy I know built a system with a 15 gallon steel barrel, an outdoor thermometer with the wire pickup, a burner from a turkey roaster, a 12vDC on demant pump and a battery and some garden hose. Total cost was probably less than $175. You have to buy a fitting that will let you drill a hole in the bottom side of the barrel, hook up a short piece of hose, then the pump and then the 15 feet or so of garden hose with a rain style nozzle. Short time to heat the water to 110 degrees or so and away you go. We used it at a deer shack and had 12 volt lights, a car radio for tunes, and a fan for the wood burner. Two batteries would get us through a 3 day weekend if we were judicious. Best part was no noise like with a generator or propane lights.

Thanks Riverrat. I had that feeling. I will get a LP one instead and vent it out. Tom, we do the turkey fryer deal at deer camp and it works great. I wanted to have something a bit nicer for the cabin.

I plan to use a tankless hot water heater and I would prefer to use electric so I don't have to vent a gas one. The heater that would work for me requires the following:

Voltage: 240

Wattage: 9.6

Amperage: 40

min. circuit breaker: 50

My Honda EM3500SX generator has these specs:

Rated voltage: 120/240 v

Rated frequence: 60 Hz

Rated ampere: 25/12.5 A

Rated output: 3.0kVA

Max output: 3.5 kVA

Your Generator-

At 120 volt it has only 25 amps (Peak).

At 240 volt it has only 12.5 amps (Peak).

This water heater is 240 volt. You can not run a 40 amp (Draw) unit on a 12.5 amp (peak) generator. Look for other options.

Please post you resolve.

river-rat4

Your water heater would require a 10,000 watt generator as it pulls 9600 watts(9.6 kilowatts) plus add what he pump would pull. Basically it would take a 12,000 watt generator. These would be the full time load not the surge load on the generator. Much better off running a LP water heater.