Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bottle Fish

Can you fish from a paddle boat?

21 posts in this topic

I was told from a friend that it is illegal to fish from them because they are not licensed. I looked through the regulation book and found nothing on this subject. I have never heard of this before and have done it since I was a kid. So can you?

I'd say get a new friend:) Really, it makes no sense to me, but then again, it's the government... You can fish from a kick boat or a float tube and they aren't registered, i think he's just wrong.

Yup, I do believe that would be a rumor. I fished in one when I was a kid and never had a issue. Even have been stopped by a co and nothing was mentioned.

i dont see any reason that you could not there are lots of things that are not registered that you can fish off of .........

You should be fine fishing from it. I've fish from rubber rafts that aren't registered, same thing.

As far as I know you can fish anywhere or from anything that is not posted or regulated "NO Fishing". As far as the watercraft license issue is concerned, that is a seperate deal. Be sure to check out what watercraft needs to be licensed and for what body of water and time of year. Duck boats don't need to be licensed if they are non-motorized, under a certain length and used during the duck hunting season by a licensed duck hunter.

I think you buddy is pulling your leg or is thinking of something like fishing from a rental paddleboat (some rental places won't let you fish, thats an insurance deal for them).

a call to the DNR would clear up this issue.

Common sense prevails... go for it.

Docks aren't licensed, the shore isn't licensed, rafts aren't licensed, float tubes aren't licensed, etc, etc.

As long is YOU have a license, you're good to go smile

Yes I have seen a lot of people fishing from them. I have seen the coolers on the back used to put fish in. They are fun for the kids to fish from.

I used to fish from my gf's family's paddleboat all the time at their cabin up north.

Then they sold it frown

I LOVE fishing from paddleboats!

i fished from a paddleboat for a long time. never had a poblem. like stated before. fishing and watercraft license are diiferent. and only craft around 16 feet that arent motor powered need to be licensed. which would be a huge paddle boat. go for it as long as you have a license.

According to the DNR HSOforum, even paddle boats are supposed to be licensed. They fall under the same category as canoes and kayaks and sailboats. Any watercraft over 9 feet, motorized or not, must be licensed.

How many paddle boats are over 9 feet long? I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly don't know. I don't remember seeing licenses on the paddle boats I've seen.

Am I the only one who thinks that needing to license non-motorized boats is ridiculous and un-american?

bleh.

Either way, I'm with sandman. The paddleboats I have used are probably maybe 6 feet long, MAYBE 8 foot max. No way they are 9 or over.

No you aren't the only one that thinks it's rediculous. But hey, welcome to the land of 10,000 fees.

Last summer my friend's son was ill one am so when he finally slept it off he came out to fish our hotspot on his jetski....caught several fish with his pocket-fisherman and even had a musky follow up a bluegill he was reeling in.

good question wouldnt think to many paddle boats are over 9 foot

I do it all the time. My favorite way is to just paddle and troll lures. I usually just do it at my cabin but I have been known to use it on some carry-in only lakes. They are more stable than a canoe, though there isn't much room for gear or a net.

pretty soon here when the dnr loosess money to the MAN they will make you license your docks, rent 20x20 spots on the ice or make you register duck boats.. fish away my friend!!!! they are a blast to fish with a buddy on super stable and easy to fish outA