• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DISGUSTED at the access Friday afternoon

Gordie

Quote:

If im gonna eat it, ill keep it and there is nothing you or anyone else for that matter can do to stop me.

We heard you the first time Buck. You can get a meal of fish by keeping fish that are smaller too. Just saying.

Any species of fish when you catch a big one, the chances are pretty great that they have genes that are favorable to fast growth, large growth and the ability to survive to reach a size that big. It's pretty simple logic and math. Take that fish home and there is 100% those genes are lost.

I don't fault anyone for keeping whatever they want. However, I think the more people become aware of selective harvest, the better off the fishery will be. Here's a good article.

Heck, I rarely keep fish unless they are gut hooked or won't make it. I just hate being bothered by filleting them. However on my brothers lake there is an over abundance of med-small crappies, so for the first time we have been keeping our limit of them and frying them up. I know it is going to do the ecology of the fishery a lot of good to thin them out.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: BuckKiller

I guess i ain't got enouf educashion two kep a fish

cute

Originally Posted By: BuckKiller

40 pound catfish are a renewable resourse... im sure by the time I have kids there will still be big catfish. If not, oh well ill take him/her out for a musky, more fun anyway.

Your argument was an uphill battle on this forum to begin with, but I was willing to give you some credit for stating your beliefs, but this last sentence you wrote gives you zero credibilty at best.

Some folks have a hard time spelling, but hey, way to carry a joke to the end....I got alot of laughs on "resourse" wink.

lol laugh thats funny I ment resource... I can spell it was just a typo. I guess your first comment could've been a compliment so thanks smile

Quote:

If im gonna eat it, ill keep it and there is nothing you or anyone else for that matter can do to stop me.

We heard you the first time Buck. We are happy for you.

Just making sure you understand how I feel smile I can have opinions... right? Just like everyone else if you choose to let it go so be but don't put me down for deciding to keep it, its all I'm saying.

Sorry if there is any hard feelings

lol laugh thats funny I ment resource... I can spell it was just a typo. I guess your first comment could've been a compliment so thanks smile

laugh "ment".....Stop! laugh I almost spit my coke all over my screen....good times!

BuckKiller I can kind of see your points, mainly on account of my firm belief in the word FREEDOM. Careful, you are fighting an uphill battle here as some of the Cat guys are worse than the Musky folks and even those flyrod Trout purists when it comes to C and R of their beloved Flatheaded overgrown Bullheads. You will be gang piled and folks may even start to knock you on account of poor spelling and/or typos!! Some of these urban catfisherman may also make reference to hillbilly banjo music for their metro-esque enjoyment.

Perhaps the fellow who kept the original fish in question was gonna mount the fish.. Or maybe just have an awesome head mount done! 45 pounder is a trophy in his book maybe eh.

Bottom line is keep what you want but...later on in life when you are showing your grandkids pictures of YOUR big cats you caught and they ask "How come I cant catch anything that big??" I am assuming you will have a great answer for them...Simply put, respect the resources or there wont be any down the road.

Just making sure you understand how I feel smile I can have opinions... right? Just like everyone else if you choose to let it go so be but don't put me down for deciding to keep it, its all I'm saying.

Sorry if there is any hard feelings

No hard feelings. You are entitled to your feelings and I am entitled to give you [PoorWordUsage], right? smile

I recognize your right to keep a big flathead and I'd never hold it against you or anyone. I think there is enough awareness that you keeping a big one won't have any noticeable effect on a fishery. And in saying that I am not saying CPRs are any better than people who would keep a pig. I am saying that it is good that there is a balance to assure that people who really desire to keep whatever they want, and it is important to them, are able to do that without ill effects. Now if someone were keeping them and then throwing them in a dumpster, well then I'd have an issue.

BuckKiller, do us all a favor if Muskie fishing is more fun go do that. I really think you may want to just sit back a take a depth breath and honestly think about the statement you made that if there was no big cats to go after you will just chase muskies with kids you may have some day. I hope you the best of luck in all you do, I do understand your point with many people trying to push their believes and I can't and won't even try. One last note remember one thing these fish when 40 plus pounds were in the river before you were a twinkle in your daddys eye. Later

The cold hard facts are that there are more catfishermen than there were days before. There is no reason to keep a fish over 30lbs Let alone 20 or 10. Keep whatever you want from 1Lb to 10lbs(of course just a suggestion). It's called selective harvest. Let the bigger ones go and you will have a better gene pool in the future! They have so much junk in them its not even funny( at least from the river i catch them from). They have been sitting in the river for so many years why not just let them be. Catch Photo and Release. But it is totally up to you. It all depends on how you fish. There is nothing better than pulling up on a spot to fish, sitting there for a few hours and not knowing if you are going to catch a ten pounder or a 60 pounder. If everyone keeps taking these fish to eat they will never be the same.

With improved technology and everyone and their grandmommy squeezing coins just to get on the water, its easy to see why people are hanging around the cities to catch fish these days. Either for sport or for feeding the family. YES, keeping fish is your right BUT lets face it. You would never have caught that monster fish had it not been for years and years of catch and release. Its more important now than ever before (multiplied fisherman chasing same fish in same waters = no trophy fish in years to come.) Keep the "eaters". Let the big ones go. Deep down you will or have felt foolish for keeping a trophy fish. What is the reason for keeping a mercury infested, gene pool monarch anyway? Nuf said.

Darren my blood is boiling yet again. Will you just end the forum once and for all. Its not worth the high blood pressure. We know its not going to do any good preaching to the " I FISH FOR FOOD GUYS. " All I know is that my fish will make their way back to the water and not in waste form.