• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brittany or Springer Spaniel

vanhea20

I am looking to get a hunting dog and have narrowed it down between a Brittany and a Springer. Which do you guys feel is a better hunting dog? Which do you feel is a better all around dog? Any comments are welcome.

I have had a Springer in the past and currently have a Britt. Both are/were great dogs. One thing is do you want a pointer or a flusher? That should help you narrow it down. Both dogs that I had/have were great with kids, high energy, fun dogs to have. Either way you will have a great addition to the family. It is fun to have the birds flush, but nothing beats shooting a rooster over a nice point.

I've had nether. I have a pointing lab. Water dog and pointer. Bigger dog then Springer or Brit but not quite so strung out. She love's all people. One nice thing that made me look in two a pointing lab was I hunt a lot of state land pheasant that seems to have a lot of water. I wanted a dog that would be more versatile upland and water dog. I do a little duck hunting but very little. What ever kind of dog you get ether commit to having it trained or know that the time you spend training your dog is almost daily. And get longer as your pup gets older. I had mine trained, I didn't have the the time to train her. Good luck with you new best friend.

MK

Matt hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Decide if you want a flusher or a pointer and then find a good breeder for that breed. Take your time with the breeder decision, wait for a litter if you need to and remember that a high quality breeding can cost a little more up front. You usual make up the cost difference real quick with a healthy, happy dog.

Personally, I grew up with flushers and now have a pointer. I am pretty sure I will own some sort of versatile pointing breed for the remainder of my life.

You know, as a fairly recent hunting dog owner - what I think was most valuable in making my decision was having a group of guys to train with. I originally was going to go with a Golden retriever, but I had some friends who were into Springer trials and invited me to check them out/invited me to train with them. I think that guided my decision to purchase a Springer more than anything else. Getting out each week with a group of Springer Trial guys has been invaluable to me.

Just something to think about. They both sound like great choices. I just would never, ever train alone again.

My heart will always be with the Springer. I love the sound of a birdy close working springer and the woooooshhhh of a close flush.

When my current dog is "retired" (hopefully a few years from now) my next will be a springer.