• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which GPS??

Ol'MarbleEyes

Question

I've been asked by my aunt to find out which GPS unit would be best for my uncle...there are a few main features he wants. 1. It will be a marine unit (as it will be used 95% for fishing 2. The main feature I think he's looking for is for it to be used with maps of lakes, downloading existing coordinates from a lake map on the computer and then load them to the GPS unit and vice versa. Are there any lake map programs out there that have coordinates for smaller Minnesota lakes yet?? I've seen Lakemaster software but it's for most of the more popular lakes!! Back to the GPS...it also should be waterproof and even possibly float!! Any thought on this would be appreciated!! I have an etrex and for what I use it for it works great...so I don't have much experience with using the computer and GPS together!!

7 answers to this question

Hey Ol' Marble Eyes,

Check this out:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/gps-calibrate-lakemaps.html

The guy who does this work is a buddy of mine and he does good work. You'll be really happy with the product he provides for you if you decide to go with it. I use his maps all the time and they are pretty darn good. It's not only a good option for smaller lakes, it's the only option.
Scoot

I will second the vote for the Garmin Map 76 or the new Map 76S. The will give you everything you need. I would recommend upgrading the basemap though. Most handhelds come with a pretty poor basemap. He WILL NOT be dissapointed with the Map 76. Scott Steil

Thanks for the response guys...another question I have then is what are the benefits of having a mapping gps if you can order lake maps with gps coordinates and then download them to your gps from your computer with just any gps unit that has the pc capabilities??? Also, how much does the DGPS help?? Anyone use this?? They say by using DGPS you can be alot more accurate with your spots?? How would the Lowrance I-Finder work with the needed features I gave above?? Fourplay...I should have known it was you with a handle like that!! Thanks for the input guys...keep it coming...I'm learning more and more!!

Ol'MarbleEyes,

I was looking for a GPS recently and decided on the Garmin Legend. The Legend has mapping capability. The benefit of this is that you can download maps directly into the Legend along with any pre-determined waypoints from the map. The downside is you can only download maps sold by Garmin. The Legend comes with a basemap of North America but it isn't very detailed. You can buy US Topo maps from Garmin as well as Fishin Hotspots. I have never used these products as I live in Manitoba, Canada and they don't benefit me. Garmin is working on Canada Topo maps and hopefully they will be available soon. Maybe they will update Fishin Hotspots for lakes in Manitoba as well.

I found a lot of good info at a HSOforum called: "Joe Mehaffey and Jack Yeazel's GPS Information HSOforum"

Hope this helps.