• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Luhr Jensen Deep 6 & Double Deep 6

MuntzAngling

Question

I am in need of getting deep without using downriggers. Can anyone here fill me in with their experiences with these sinker/planers used for trolling?

The Deep 6 models run 30, 60, or 90 feet deep and the Double deep 6 runs 120 or 180.

Firstly, I'm curious about drag amount and how hard will these pull? I will likely need a couple heavier trolling setups. Maybe a stiffer Shimano rod and some 20-30# mono would suffice?

Secondly, Can I get the deeper models to work well at shallower depths by letting out less line? I guess they just weigh more, right?

Lastly, if I wanted to run 2 of these on a side, is it possible to run the deepest model inside and the shallower model outside?

These things are intriguing to me.

4 answers to this question

I am in need of getting deep without using downriggers. Can anyone here fill me in with their experiences with these sinker/planers used for trolling?

The Deep 6 models run 30, 60, or 90 feet deep and the Double deep 6 runs 120 or 180.

Firstly, I'm curious about drag amount and how hard will these pull? I will likely need a couple heavier trolling setups. Maybe a stiffer Shimano rod and some 20-30# mono would suffice?

Secondly, Can I get the deeper models to work well at shallower depths by letting out less line? I guess they just weigh more, right?

Lastly, if I wanted to run 2 of these on a side, is it possible to run the deepest model inside and the shallower model outside?

These things are intriguing to me.

I have some experience with these so i will try to help.

Like dipseys...they pull hard. a good heavy set up you will need. get Down east rod holders. the plastic ones will be stressed.

If these are the same ones with a tripping mechanism, you're better off with braid as mono will stretch if you are going to be letting alot of line out and can make tripping them difficult.

How deep they go depends on alot of factors. the depth range that the box sez they will go is just a guide. Line type, speed, ect. all affect how they dive.

The last question i am not sure what you are asking. more important if you are running more than one line off one side is to have the longest rod closest to the bow.

I used them but didn't care for them, myself. If God said, " TJ, thou shall only use one method to get your lures deep" it would be downriggers

Thanks!

On the 2 lines on 1 side question, I'm wondering if I can adjust the inside and deepest Deep 6 to go down at a steep enough angle to allow for the outside shallower Deep 6 to be brought over that line if triggered.

Any diver like that is going to give you a large amount of belly between the rod tip and diver. So when setting out and bringing in lines you have to take that belly into consideration. If you run more then one diver off the side then the second, third, and so on divers need to be directional divers like a dipsy to get a spread.

You'll also have to do some rod management by moving rods around till a line clears another when there is a release.

That belly in the line is from resistance. While some belly is needed for the diver to operate correctly, too much resistance isn't good. A braid will give you less resistance. I'd go with a 50 lb braid on a line counter reel. Speed, resistance, line out, and even drag from the lure dictate depth.

So I'm thinking your going to try this on the Great Lakes for Trout and Salmon? If so you'll have currents to contend with too. That current will be somewhere in the water column.

You'll be running with, against, and broadside to it and it can.

If I were you I'd go with a directional off each corner out the back set to a very slight side plane angle. Out the back run a 1# rig. This is a roller guide rod with wire line spooled on a LC level wind reel. Rigged with 3way swivel and a drop line. That dropper gets a .5#-1# lead ball. 6" leader to lure. Depending on the time of year and depth that would be a spoon, spoon w/dodger, or Flasher w/fly and meat. This rig will be your deepest set.

You can add more directional divers but they will need to be set to side plane.

You'll still need to use some rod management when a dipsy trips by moving rods around.

I appreciate the info here guys. I don't get on Superior much with my Alumacraft Lunker, but it does happen. Mostly inland lakes is where I aim at lakers. Also heading to Canada in a month on Savant Lake which is a small ocean for a 16 foot boat.