Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PikeBayCommanche

Llewellin Setters

5 posts in this topic

I am looking at getting a Llewellin for my grouse addiction now.

I have always wanted a pointer for grouse and early season pheasant.

I have kind of came to llewellin because of what I hear about the temperament.

I have hunted with lots of Brits and GSP's but they are just to high strung, bouncy, and nervous for my family.

What are everyone's experiences with the setters?

My dad had a Lew, way more high strung and hyper than either of my GSP's. Good dog, but bounces off the walls. Great with kids, aside from knocking them over a lot. Good hunter, great nose.

I have both Britts & Llwellins, I think they are both great. A Llewellin might have a little less nervous energy, but that also shows in the field because the are a half step behind my britts. They are both very capable breeds in the field and good with kids. If you are looking for a Llewellin breeder let me know, I know a few. kentucky_ike at yahoo.com

Good Luck, Ben

I got a Llewellin in March. Obviously havent hunted her yet, but she is in gun training right now. Man, she has the desire though. Got her at High Flyn Kennels in Elko. Highly recommended.

Let me know when you want to hunt grouse over a setter this fall. My dogs were raised on wild grouse and have excellent manners in the field and the house. I will not post about them here and argue with guys that have never even seen a setter. My email is northuplandhunter at yahoo