Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swampdonkey

what is this??

13 posts in this topic

caught this little guy in southern South Dakota a couple days ago.. it put up the best fight I have ever had from a fish this size.

problem is.. i have never seen one before?

he had quite a set of teeth..

0622092100a.jpg

0622092100.jpg

Swampdonkey, That is called a Goldeye. They do fight hard don't they?! I remember catching tons of them on Oahe when I was a kid. The locals called them skipjacks. The skipjack herring is a similar looking fish.

It's either a goldeye or a mooneye. They are very similar and most people can't tell them apart (me included).

Definitely NOT a Mooneye...eye's too low in the head and the body's the wrong shape. I'd be more apt to agree with the 'goldeye' call. For sure a member of the cisco family and the location of the eye is like a cisco. We don't need the Latin names...DO WE??? BTW, Yes, It looks like bait in so many ways, or even SUSHI to an inebriated buddy!!! That's ALWAYS a 'priceless moment' grin!! Phred52

I was catching Gold Eyes up on the Red River to use for catfish bait. There was a young girl whose family didn't have enough rods, so they were taking turns. I loaned her a rod rigged for Gold Eyes. When she caught one, she yelled out,"hey, dad, I caught a cutbait." That was the only name she knew for them. Then I had to loan her a cat rod to use it on.

Caught one of those on the croix, was told it was a Mooneye.

goldeye

mooneyes look the same, but their eyes are silver. hence the name "moon"eye

goldeyes eyes are... you guessed it! gold wink

Goldeye. The dorsal fin is directly above the anal fin. On a mooneye, the same fins are offset a little.

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
Caught one of those on the croix, was told it was a Mooneye.

goldeye

mooneyes look the same, but their eyes are silver. hence the name "moon"eye

goldeyes eyes are... you guessed it! gold wink

Good call there. Thats about as simple as it gets for distinguishing between those 2 species.