• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New camera purchasing questions.

I am looking into these 2 cameras and lens combo- which one is better?

Nikon D60 with the standard 18-55mm lens and a

Nikon - Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom Lens

or a

Canon Rebel XS Black 10.1MP with standard 18-55mm lens and then a Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Zoom Lens: 13 elements in 9 groups

The Nikon package is about $100 more. Is it worth it. Anyone have the Canon? Either of these take good pictures?

Thanks.

The D60 is a newer model camera than the XS so I would stick with that one if it were me. You will get more camera for the $100 with the D60. If you were comparing the D60 to the XSI or T1i then it might be different. The XS is a good camera from I've heard and it would serve you well if you're into Canon, but really, why would anyone want to do that? smile Did I mention I own Nikon and love it.

For the money,I would also say go with the Nikon. You will be getting a stabilized lens which is a big bonus.

Folks who start with a non-stabilized lens tend to get discouraged and give up on the hobby. Getting more people into the hobby for keeps is what it's all about.

One thing to remember-Canon is breaking ground on a new DSLR only manufacturing and R&D facility in Nagasaki Japan. The buzz I've heard [via a Canon insider on a podcast] is that they intend to conquer the DSLR market by sheer volume and intend to have a line up of at least 20 DSLR cameras for every conceivable specialized need of photogs. From $300 beginner rigs to 10FPS crop bodies for birders outfitted with Real Tree camo-like my shotgun! and 1D's in a miriad of configs for pros.

The dude on the podcast said he had seen the camo prototype and that Canon keeps it submersed in water 24/7 and takes it out every few days,fire a few frames,and back in the tank it goes.

It sounds like the Giant has finally awaken-and that's a good thing. gringrin

crasher, if you can get to a camera store that stocks both models, I'd go there and see how each one feels in your hands. Work the controls. Move the camera around. Get a sense of which one handles best.

There's not much difference between them. After handling them, pick the one that you like best (pay no attention to the sales clerk).

Yeah actually I did that yesterday, we have a camera shoip about 25 minutes away from me here. They let me take both outside and try them. They both seem to take about the same photo quality, but that is not getting into the more advanced features. Both seemed to feel ok. No pressure from the sales clerk (owner) he said both were close to the same camera in his opinion.