• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The "New" E-CAT

hanson

So I was down at Moore's yesterday picking up some... gasp... walleye tackle and the "New" E-Cats from Berkley just arrived. And I mean "just" arrived.

Having the rod fetish that I do, I had to give them the once over. I'm impressed!! They are very, very close to the originals.

Take your pick from the #3 or the #4 for Flatheads, these rods have nice actions with a good backbone.

I'm giving the 2 thumbs up on these sticks!

Hanson, I agree. NIce rods.....A big thanks to Bob on this as I came across these on the net and asked if he'd go ahead and order some to be checked out at the store. Turns out he was already thinking along the same lines. I was in today and bought the heavier of the two rods. I agree, I own a Boss 3 and find it very similar, maybe a hair more stout on the tip action.....somewhere between the Boss 3 & 4 I guess but plenty of backbone. EIther, way should be another good rod to get punished. If anyone is interested, he only got a couple of these in, if memory serves me right there is only one rod of each the Ecat3 and Ecat4 left. Hurry in!

Looks like Bob's gonna have to order more because I'm planning on stopping in early tomorrow and picking one up along with a few other things. Not that I need anymore rods or anything. smirk....I might have a rod or two up for sale here soon...we'll see.

I had a nice chat with Jim Moyer last night. I helped a friend catch his first mudeye last week and I'm looking to set him up with his first rod n reel combo. The new E-Cats from Berkley are not from Jim Moyer although he says its a great rod. I think I'm gonna pick up a #4 Boss but still thinking about the reel. Trying to decide between a Penn 320 or the ol 7000....either way, a great catfishing machine.

The #3 Boss has been taken off the market because some of them have been breaking.

I was going to pick up a couple of Big Jim Moyer's "The Boss" rods this season. All of the set of 3 is nice. I would like to add a JMBC2 and JMBC4. The Titanium guides are a plus, as I run mostly braids. But the word is there out of the JMBC2 for several months yet...unless Jim has a stash.

The new BERKLEY E-CAT's are the BECAT3 (STAINLESS STEEL GUIDES WITH TITANIUM OXIDE INSERTS) and the BECAT4 (Stainless steel guides with a hardened solid chrome tip), both are nice. About $70.

Dark30 the ABU 7000 C3i is a great reel for the money, worth a look. $129 +/- $10.

I had a nice chat with Jim Moyer last night. I helped a friend catch his first mudeye last week and I'm looking to set him up with his first rod n reel combo. The new E-Cats from Berkley are not from Jim Moyer although he says its a great rod. I think I'm gonna pick up a #4 Boss but still thinking about the reel. Trying to decide between a Penn 320 or the ol 7000....either way, a great catfishing machine.

The #3 Boss has been taken off the market because some of them have been breaking.

I must have gotten a good #3 as I have been using it for years with no issues. I love the rod. Its pulled in some nicer flats and sturgeon.

Is the New E-Cat really any different from the old ones? I have several of the originals. BTW, IMO, the Quantum Big Cat is a cheaper version of the same rod.

I ran into Jim up in Lockport back when the original E-Cats came out and believe it or not he was using a #2 on the big channel cats in that heavy current!

What good is a cat rod if it isn't white? laugh

Seriously though @ $70 and no hook keeper on those Boss Rods?

I'm very impressed with what you get for $50 in the American Spirit NiteStick Pro. It handles fish nicely too.

E-Cats are about $70

I still think the Catfish Safari rods are another good choice as well, the River & Flathead rods specifically.

Nice to finally have options in the rod market.

The E-Cats are interesting. When I find one I will look for sure. Being the owner of a Catfish Safari I must say they are a high quality rod that was well thought out. I had the opportunity to fish with Steve Brown who owns Catfish Safari this spring and he was explaining what we was going for.

It is nice to see some higher end rods coming the way of catfishing. JM, the new E-Cat and Catfish Safari are filling that Niche.

If I don't have a hook keeper on a rod, then I just use the first eye and I have never had an issue with using that eye.

I use the guides too, but I never put the hook in the eye, just the attachment. The problem I have had, especially as a shore fisherman, is that the hook keeper being down by the handle will mean my weight sliding up and down the line and bouncing off the rod. That can't be good for the eyelets or the blank.

Now we just need St. Croix to make the Classic Cat rods again!

There was surge of manufacturers making high end cat rods back around 2001-2003 and then they seemed to fade away.

I use the first guide also on my Boss #4 and it's rock solid. I prefer the guide over the hook keepers on my other poles! My Glow stick Hook keeper is completely wrecked and inoperable.

Now white or Black for the next one...hmmmm decisions decisions!

So I was down at Moore's yesterday picking up some... gasp... walleye tackle and the "New" E-Cats from Berkley just arrived. And I mean "just" arrived.

Having the rod fetish that I do, I had to give them the once over. I'm impressed!! They are very, very close to the originals.

Take your pick from the #3 or the #4 for Flatheads, these rods have nice actions with a good backbone.

I'm giving the 2 thumbs up on these sticks!

Are these close to the "reflex" rods? Also Chris are you all done fishing cats as I haven't seen any posts from you this year? Eyes are fun in the fall.....but all summer long come on. Catching bait is more fun smile

Are these close to the "reflex" rods? Also Chris are you all done fishing cats as I haven't seen any posts from you this year? Eyes are fun in the fall.....but all summer long come on. Catching bait is more fun smile

E-Cats aren't even close to the Reflex rods. Only rods that appear to be close to the Reflexes are some of the Cat Safari rods, Flathead & River models I believe are pretty close. Sucks that you can't get those Reflexes anymore eh?

I'm not done fishing cats, just taking a little break, had to reprioritize things for this summer. Bought a house in September and have put a lot of time, effort, and money into that. Been bustin' my arse at work to, well... insure a steady stream of income in the future. Being in the architecture field has been scary for the last year, last I heard nearly 1/2 the architects in the Cities are out of work right now, 1/2!! Boat motor took a [PoorWordUsage] on me at the sturgeon excursion and I've just given up on that, its internal and I'm not paying any money to fix the motor. (Ain't sayin' I won't hitch a ride but nobody has asked) Probably will repower the boat next spring with something more modern and reliable but there's a lot of time between now and then. And now I'm picking up a new puppy in August too. Lot of work ahead of me with him.

Off to Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin on Tuesday for the next FLW Walleye Tour event. Need a decent finish there and I'll be going to the Championship on the Co-Angler side. Sitting 47th right now in points and need to remain top 50 to qualify.

Cat's Incredible Tourny is coming up in August as well. I have to borrow a boat to fish this so it'll be interesting.

Lets just say its been a busy summer and it ain't slowing down.