• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heartburn from Fresh Walleye (baked too!)

Grabs

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I love to catch and eat fish, specifically walleye.

About 2 years ago while on an ice fishing trip I experienced heartburn for the first time in my life. I didn't even know what heartburn was until this time. I experienced it after eating fried walleyes and crappies. Ever since then the same thing happens, fried or baked, it doesn't matter. And it sets in really quickly too, like after just a couple of bites of walleye. This heartburn can be something very fierce too, like cripple me over and cry about it pain!

I can eat sushi, shrimp and other salt water fish with no problem, but for some reason the fresh fish that are near and dear to my life cause me this problem.

I seem to find relief by taking an acid reflux pill a few hours before the meal, but usually I forget or don't know we are having fish for dinner that night.

Any ideas? Anyone else have a similar experience?

That's a tough one. I've experienced heartburn from eating Walleye but it's usually related to how it's prepared, especially if it's deep fried. But baked! Man that's tough. It's almost a perfect food. It's extremly lean, low calorie, low cholesteral and virtually fat free! It pretty much comes down to how you prepare it. Have you tried poaching it?

i take a reflux everyday regardless of what we are eating. my wife was using cayenne pepper in everything for a while. I did not know it. One day at work after eating lunch i thought geez im having a heart attack. Had the medics check me out nothing on the machine so i went home. Then i found out that it was the cayenne she was using. I take a prylosec every morning heck had mexican for lunch and beans and brisket for dinner no problems. Is it a cure all no but has kept mine to minimum

You're right in thinking that it could be an allergy! My girlfriend used to love eating fish, but suddenly after eating some , she had trouble swallowing, her lips and tongue went numb, plus she had problems breathing. Be carefull!

You're right in thinking that it could be an allergy! My girlfriend used to love eating fish, but suddenly after eating some , she had trouble swallowing, her lips and tongue went numb, plus she had problems breathing. Be carefull!

Happens to me just like this. I ate fish or shelfish weekly for 25 years, then "grew into" an allergy. Started with shelfish, then saltwater, and now freash as well. Not good.

Be carefull

i think hes on the right track on this one hart burn should take longer then 2 bits

Originally Posted By: delmuts

Happens to me just like this. I ate fish or shelfish weekly for 25 years, then "grew into" an allergy. Started with shelfish, then saltwater, and now freash as well. Not good.

Be carefull

Neighbor Guy, did you get the heartburn from it? Or some other side effect?

My friend is allergic to walleye and pike...he can't eat either of them no matter how he prepares them. He gets really sick with lots of symptoms (heartburn included). This just "hit" him one day and has been plauged with it ever since. His dr told him that this kinda stuff can go away as it takes about a 7 year cycle or he may be stuck with it the rest of his life.

Another friend of mine is allergic to walleye slime. He breaks out in bad rashes when he comes in contact with it unless he washes it off asap.

It doesn't matter what lake, BWCA, Mille Lacs, Upper Red, Alexandria lakes or small metro lakes. And its not limited to walleyes, same effect from crappies, bluegills and pike. It also doesn't matter if its open water or ice fishing season. Fresh or frozen fillets. Plain and simply sucks.

Should probably bring it up with my dr next time I'm in.

Doc says they can't test for fresh water fish allergies. Thinks I should just be careful about it. Take heartburn pill in advance if I want to eat it.

Hopefully I will grow out of it like I seem to have grown into it.

Grabs, from the symptoms it sounds like maybe the seasoning you're using, or extra butter when you bake the fish might be part of it. Something you could try to verify if it's actually the fish would be to try Poaching them. My wife loves walleye this way. Just put about a quart of water in a pan, bring to a boil, then add the fish and cook for 5-7 minutes, til it flakes easily. Take them out, then try using just salt for seasoning the first time, and see if you still get the burn.

I can get heartburn too if I use the wrong seasonings on my fish. 2 specks of Cayanne will turn my bowels to liquid in about 1 minute!! I figure it's just part of getting old...... : - )

Grabs - I have the exact same issue. I see this is an old post, so I'm hoping you get my response.

I've been struggling with this for about 10 years. I'm curious if you found anything out or if you have found a way to deal with this issue.

You can email me at [email protected] if you want.

Thx

Doug