• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favre = Zygi selling Vikes?

LMITOUT

Could the Vikings’ decision to acquire quarterback Brett Favre mean that the team is for sale? At least one sports money expert thinks so.

Mike Ozanian of Forbes.com believes that the arrival of Favre means that Zygi Wilf wants to unload the franchise.

The organization has been a laughingstock for the NFL and Wilf desperately wants to create some positive buzz for his team,” Ozanian writes. “The Vikings play in the antiquated Metrodome and Wilf’s gamble was that he would get taxpayers to build him a new stadium. Taxpayers repeatedly said no way.”

Ozanian thinks that Wilf has waited to long.

“He could have gotten around $850 million for the team a year ago,” Ozanian opines. “But with at least seven NFL team owners looking to sell their teams right now Wilf will be lucky to get $750 million for his debt laden team. Let the laughing continue.

We’re not ready to agree with the notion that Favre’s presence will result in the placement of a “For Sale” sign at team headquarters. If Favre were a decade or so younger, having him under contract over a period of several years might make the team more attractive to a potential buyer.

But this move — even though Favre’s contract might have a two-year duration for cap purposes — is most likely a one-season arrangement. Whoever buys the team wouldn’t have Favre on it.

So we think Favre’s arrival arises from the reality that coach Brad Childress is on the hot seat, and that Favre gives Childress a better chance to remain employed into 2010.

That said, there’s a chance that Wilf has agreed to pay Favre because Wilf has decided to load up the cannon and aim for a league title in 2009. Then, he can try to leverage the success into a new stadium, and he can sell the team if it doesn’t happen.

Still, while winning a championship would definitely create some positive buzz, the Vikings seem to be on the short list of favorites to play in the Super Bowl every three or four years — and when they are they consistently underachieve.

I would be shocked if Zigy would try to sell the Vikes at this time. After a couple good seasons, then maybe. I do believe the Vikes will have a new stadium in 3 years.

I also believe that in a few years, he could get the money he wants for a huge profit. At this time, maybe not.

Now, I have been wrong before but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I know Ziggy is a big real estate guy. With all of the loses in real estate these days I could see that as motivation to sell the team. I don't think adding Favre would have anything to do with selling the team. He would want the stadium sold out regardless of whether he is trying to sell or not. I hope he keeps the Vikings. He's willing to spend the $$ and take risks. There aren't any other pro franchises in town that do that.

That does not even make sense. Who would win a championship and just sell the team. If the Vikings win the big one this year that "antiquated" staduim will be stuffed to the gills for at least two more seasons, that equals BIG money two MR. Wilf.

What does Favres presence have to do with the marketability of the franchise? NOTHING. His salary will be paid for by all the sold out games this year, Minnesotans will want to watch this guy play, especially FOR Minnesota. Even if not to win a championship signing Favre is a great Business move, it will fill our "antiquated" stadium, and "drum up excitement."

I was not aware that Forbes had entered the tabloid market. Their sales must be down as of late, becuase that is a bunch of bull.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

The guy who wrote this, Michael K. Ozanian, is the laughingstock around anyone who covers sports.

Yawn....

it just seems fitting to me that a PACKER will lead the vikqueens to the promise land. "GO FARVE NATION"

You must of forgot, the cheese didn't want him anymore! So he is not a Cheesehead anymore. Anyways its good to let your feelings out, it helps with the grieving process!!!