Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eelpout#1

Lowrance 522

8 posts in this topic

I remember reading about this on this forum before, but whats the deal with the 522 losing bottom contact and reading ridiculous depths. It tells me its 60 feet when I can see the bottom and it says its 2.2 feet when its obviously deeper. Is there a quick fix for this?

thanks in advance

tc

Sometimes a little soap and water cleanse on the ducer helps. Use a plastic scrubber to remove lyme film if you have any buildup. That's helped my ducer before.

Just returned from a week long trip on LOTW. Ran my 520c's in some very shallow, very weedy stuff. Real slop.

Anyway, with 2.4.2 beta s/w loaded in the units, they worked like a charm and tracked the bottom well.

I select "shallow water" mode and go with the factory presets and all is well.

Update your software. I updated mine last week and it reads through weeds and in shallow water perfectly. It had a lot of trouble before. But now after I cruise across the lake obviously I lose my depth reading but when I slow down and stop it wont regain a reading unless I shut it down and start it back up. Anyone know the settings to make it start up better?

beerfish - do you have it in the shallow water mode? If so, the next thing I would try is bumping up your ping speed a bit ---- if you go too far you'll run into issues in the shallow water and weeds, but it should help you after you've been running. Another thing you can try is lowering your transducer about 1/8 of on inch to try to get in better contact with "clean" water. Good luck.

Perchjerker,

Yeah I think I have the ping speed pretty high already but I will have to mess around with it some more. My ducer is already as low as I want it to go. It is well past the recommended line, but not so low that it shoots a roostertail. Thanks for the advice. It has been two years and two props since my locator worked the way is supposed to.