• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any good spagetti sauce recipes?

I love spagetti and I don't have any good sauce recipes!

Does anyone have some good spagetti sauce recipes they would like to share? I like a fairly thick sauce, not runny. Not too much stuff in it, but not just tomato sauce either.

mmmmmm, now I am getting hungry!

I brown 1lb of ground pork with 1 med. onion, and a couple cloves of garlic. Sprinkle in a couple teaspoons of your fav brand of italion seasoning, and cover with classico tom & basil sauce. I let that simmer for a while and it is good to go.

I use the leftovers for mini pizzas too. Just slice some french bread butter and toast in the oven, cover with warm sauce and my fav cheese, and throw under the broiler to melt the cheese.

All good stuff, and much less time consuming than scratch tom sauce. Enjoy.

My wife has a family recipe that is incredible. I don't even know what all goes in it, but I will tell you the meat in it are Ribs, Italian Sausage (not ground) & Peperoni Chunks. Oh man, I gotta have her make it again soon.

I have an amazing one that I learned from my mom, but I made some changes and it is even better! Sorry can't give it up.

Just experiment and think outside the box, but remember not to over do it on the spices lol I used to do that.

I too have a recipe that I cannot give out. It was given to me from a close friend who's 100% italian. It originally came from his great-great grandmother. Hand-made meatballs, and a sauce to die for. Original recipe served 50 people, so I had to break it down (that's a lot of meatballs!)

At thanksgiving, they don't eat turkey -- they have spaghetti. Now that's amore...

1 6lb 6oz can crushed tomato

1 6lb 6oz can tomato sauce

1 6lb 6oz can diced tomato

4 12oz can tomato paste

12 tsp. sugar

6 tsp. salt

4 green peppers chopped

2/3 oz.fresh Thyme

2/3 oz.fresh Basil

1 oz.fresh Oregano

1/2 oz.fresh Marjoram

5 large onions chopped

4 16oz. cans Mushrooms drained

2 Head of garlic peeled and chopped

Will make about 12 Quarts

Put in at least a 20 quart pot and simmer for 2to 3 hours

This is a recipe that I have been making now for about 10 years and everyone seems to like it a lot because of the great flavor the fresh ingredients add. I put the sauce in quart jars and vacuum seal them before freezing and fill to about a inch from the top to allow for expansion. I always stand them up in the freezer and have not had any crack the glass.

1lb ground beef non lean. Either roll into meatballs or just brown with onions, salt and pepper. Remove meat after browning and capture and retain as much of the animal by product as you can in the pan. Now add a small amount of water to this along with some brown sugar, your choice of catchup and a splash of vinegar. Simmer and adjust to taste by adding more of said ingredients and spices. Be creative.

To thicken, add small amounts of corn starch until desired consistency.

This is a very simple bottom end middle class Scandinavian/European recipe ranging from the 1950's.grin

Oh, it is a family secrete so don't tell anyone. wink

Good Luck...

My wife has a family recipe that is incredible. I don't even know what all goes in it, but I will tell you the meat in it are Ribs, Italian Sausage (not ground) & Peperoni Chunks. Oh man, I gotta have her make it again soon.

Ribs in the sauce. You got the real deal recipe there Sandman!

Yea, it's pretty incredible. She won't even give me the recipe for fear I'll give it out. But it's awesome.

My brothers girlfriend has a family recipe that I am very slowwwwwwwly getting bits and pieces out of her. Amazing how tight those Italians can be with these old recipes but after having her sauce I guess I can see why. I don't know any way better to explain it but there is something about the depth and "subtleness" that is unbelievable.

Few reason for the tight lips.

In my family there is no recipe, you were shown how to make it so that is how it gets passed down. That being shown deal isn't a one time thing, it takes years of observation then an understanding on what and why its made that way. In the end you know what your trying to get for a finished product. When you got it down Papa will let you make the sauce. That means you have have the blessing to teach it. Oh, there are family members that try to make it but they don't get asked for a recipe by any Italians. They all know who makes it best and their kids will let them know that Punchy has the best sauce and they wish their dad could make it like his. That right there keeps the handed down sauce pure as you can't fool the kids.

I could give you a list of ingredients with directions but I can't explain how to adjust them because you will need to do that. Can't explain the consistency and how to get that by taking the lid off if need be. Can't tell you how to tell when its done by way of oil separation and it sits on top.

I'm not going to speak for all Italians families but the long line mine comes from isn't going to invest the time to show you only for you to end up making the slightest variation to the sauce. That would be almost as bad as you opening up my pot and sticking rosemary in the sauce. Lastly there are some that believe they have the best sause and think they could get rich off selling it, I know I do. smile

I would rather not have read any of this seeing as no one will give out their "Secret" recipe, but if you see some guy looking through the window while making spaghetti sauce dont be scared, thats just me taking notes lol.

Few reason for the tight lips.

In my family there is no recipe, you were shown how to make it so that is how it gets passed down. That being shown deal isn't a one time thing, it takes years of observation then an understanding on what and why its made that way. In the end you know what your trying to get for a finished product. When you got it down Papa will let you make the sauce. That means you have have the blessing to teach it. Oh, there are family members that try to make it but they don't get asked for a recipe by any Italians. They all know who makes it best and their kids will let them know that Punchy has the best sauce and they wish their dad could make it like his. That right there keeps the handed down sauce pure as you can't fool the kids.

I could give you a list of ingredients with directions but I can't explain how to adjust them because you will need to do that. Can't explain the consistency and how to get that by taking the lid off if need be. Can't tell you how to tell when its done by way of oil separation and it sits on top.

I'm not going to speak for all Italians families but the long line mine comes from isn't going to invest the time to show you only for you to end up making the slightest variation to the sauce. That would be almost as bad as you opening up my pot and sticking rosemary in the sauce. Lastly there are some that believe they have the best sause and think they could get rich off selling it, I know I do. smile

Couldn't agree more . Well said. I give a basic recipe out that my family used to use in a pinch, but I will never disappoint my aunt mary and give out the family recipe.

Traditional Spaghetti & Meatballs

Meatball Ingredients:

1lb. fresh ground Pork

2lbs. Fresh ground Chuck 85-93% Lean

3tbs. Dried Oregano

1 c. Fine bread crumbs (Progresso works)

1tsp. fresh cracked Pepper

1.tsp Garlic Powder

Sauce:

2-lbs. Pork ribs cut into single ribs(these are used for flavor primarily).

3-28Oz. cans crushed or pureed tomotoes

1-15 oz. can tomato paste

1-head of Garlic (Yes, 1-entire head, covers removed.

3-4 ozs. quality Olive Oil.

2-4 tbs. dried oregano (to taste)

Procedure:

in a very large deep (5-8 Qt.) heavy bottomed pan over med high heat, add olive oil and ribs, cook turning frequently and scraping the browned bits off the pan as you stir for appx. 15 minutes ,or unitl the ribs begin to leach juices from the marrow.

Reduce heat to med-low and add the crushed Garlic--yes all of it! Cook garlic for 3-4 minutes making sure it doesn't burn or it will get bitter.

Add crushed tomatoes and paste, stir well and reduce heat to simmer.

Next form your meatballs (I make 3" size) and brown them all over in a large non-stick pan. You'll have to turn them frequently to keep the shape and even browning. Drop them into your sauce as they are browned and they will continue to heat through while basking in your sauce for as many hours as you can stand before you cook the pasta and eat till you pass out.

You can eat the rib meat off the bones or strip it off into the sauce. This stuff gets batter the 2nd and 3rd. time you eat it as it ages. It freezes well too, so that's why the recipe is large--leftovers and a fair amount of work, so you may as well make a pile of it.