• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do You Feel Bad If You Let The Fish Go With A Hook.

1sfer

I stumbled a small lake with no bass fishing pressure yesterday. I didn't know what fish in that lake other than seeing sunnies and bullheads. Then I hooked a 18" in less than 5 minutes. It took me a good minute to unhooked it even though the fish was just hooked just on the lip. A few bites later, another 18" caught. But this time, the fish almost swallowed it. I couldn't get the hook out. In the end, I had to release it with the hook inside. Both my hands have teeth marks left still.

I left after that thinking maybe I shouldn't go fishing if I don't intend to eat it.

Dont sweat it too much it happens. Id rather not leave a hook in a fish but sometimes its better for the fish. Though, I should say that Ive got a bolt cutter that I use to cut the hooks out of some badly hooked fish. Id rather buy another pack of hooks than kill a fish. If you're having trouble with a fish hold him in the water for a bit and let 'em take a breath then go back to unhooking it.

There are many techniques to get a hook out of a deep hooked fish and there are times when the only way you are going to get the hook out is going to result in the death of the fish. I dont like it when it happens but it just does and the fish in many cases will digets the hook and be fine others it will die and feed another creature. It has a better chance of living if released with the hook in it then if it goes in the frying pan. smile It is just part of the sport and nature. Good Fishing!!

It happens sometimes, what were you using for bait/lure? You can also go with a barbless hook. I used to have a link showing how to remove gullet hooked fish but I cannot find it. Im sure somebody has the link

I use Eagle Claw worm hook with Berkley nightcrawlers. The hook is the best I ever use for catching fish, it's just very hard to take them off.

I think I'll just press barb down.

Cut the line, and release the fish quickly, and I would venture to say that the fish suffers no ill effect 9 times of 10. It's when you pull and push and prod that you cause undue damage. You would absolutely call me a bold-faced-liar if I told you how many jigs we just found in the stomach of a walleye my brother caught last week, and it was still eating aggressively enough to smack another shiner on a jig... I wouldn't hang up the rod and reel just yet as I am sure that bass is okay.

I also keep a good wire cutter in my boat (or tackle box if I'm not in my boat). This is a must tool for many reasons, example: my buddy put a crank into his arm the other day. Cut the hook, pull it through, little first aid, and back to fishing.

i have found several 12 inch and smaller bass [PoorWordUsage] out 4/0 ewgs so they don't dissolve like the older hooks use to they digest them, pretty weird to see especially when the senko is still attached

yikes!!!

I use a good long pliers and wire cutter. Usually I can get them out with just the pliers, sometimes pinching the barb if that is an option. I think it would be better for the fish to cut the hook and not leave the whole thing in there.

This fish is gonna have a much better chance of surving if you just cut the line more often than not. The hooks will usually rust out (although ikeslayers comment would be interesting to here more on) and a hook in them is going to have less of an effect than working hard to get it out and causing injury to that fish that can then get infected or cause the fish to much stress. If the hook is deep and wont come out with a wiggle or two I always cut my line

I pulled a wire leader with a hook from a pikes bung hole. It was sticking out already so it passed that whole deal, and wasn't rusty one bit.

Yes I feel bad when they swallow the hook and I can't get it out. It happens though, but not too much at all. Not once this year and only once last year.