• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pick the perfect dog?

tmvikings

I have had mostly labs all my life but do not waterfowl hunt at all anymore. Predominately grouse and pheasant. I now have a field bred english cocker and field bred springer. Both have different strengths. Very pleased with both. Excellent quartering dogs. The cocker is amazing on grouse in the woods...smaller size an asset for the brush and good in the grasses. Springer is better in heavy cover and cattails. The cocker does ok in the heavy stuff but for shorter periods of time. One thing about the cocker though...it doesnt shed (mine anyways). The springer sheds alot, as have any labs that I have had. The other comment is that they both work within 20-25 yards all the time, which I appreciate as I am getting older. My friend has excellent pointing dogs but they cover alot of ground and are wide ranging, and it is just too much work for me now to keep up. If I had a pointer, it would need to be a closer working dog. As someone else commented, I think there are great representatives from every breed

I primarily hunt pheasant and have a field bred lab. He routinely hunts all day. We often hunt with a GSP and the lab outruns and outhunts it hands down. In fact he is still out hunting while the GSP is back at the truck sleeping. It depends on the dog I guess. If you want a lab that is going to hunt all day long, get a longer leaner one, not the barrel chested short ones. (look at the parents)

My lab is a great dog, but I am not one of those people who sticks to one breed and will probably try something different next time.

Any of the breeds mentioned can be a good dog or a bad dog for your situation. Its an educated guess based on the research you do. Hopefully you take the time and pick the right one. Posting on here can be a great start if you get honest insightful responses. Ignore the homer mentality/responses and you will do fine!

Of all the dogs I've ever hunted birds with...

Breed doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Sure you need a breed designed for your intended purpose. But every single dog is different. Might find an awesome Lab or a terrible one. Same goes for any breed I could name.

Good handler, good training, and getting lucky enough to end up with a dog who is willing, intelligent, and has the natural tools (endurance, great nose, loves to hunt, etc) is a matter of chance, no matter what breeder you go with.

So a perfect dog would be one who has all of the above. Breed doesn't make much difference to me. But I like a dog with looks to my preference: Shorter coat, retriever mouth, relatively calm attitude, and good energy and endurance. Recently just picked up a GSP so we'll see if that is the perfet dog. Right now he's a hammer head at 8 weeks and driving us a little bonkers.

Britts are nice sized, but do shed if not brushed once in awhile. They need exercise, but what hunting dog doesn't if you expect them to run well in the field.

They are a very mild tempered breed, and some heavy handed training tactics that work well for other breeds WILL NOT work for Brittanys. I do not use e-collars, but if you decide too with a Britt I would suggest you get advise to ensure you do not over stimulate.

All of my Britts have lived in our home. All have fully integrated into our house and all have been subordinate to even my youngest children. Children can take food from the dog bowl, while the dog is eating without even a growl. (though not recommended).

Finally, if you decide to go Britt, then buy from a reputable breeder ... all mine range nice and have had excellent noses. I kill plenty of roosters on MN public land - often after just being hunted by other groups ...

None of the labs i have had ever quit or were oot lickers. I hunt pheasants in n.d. from the start of the season until it closes in january. I see alot of pretty pointing dogs early in the season but not too many after the first few weeks. my female british lab had 67 pheasants shot over her on public land her first year. I agree that paying for a well bred dog worth it and my 11 year old lean mac female lab paused on most birds, maybe she was a pointing lab.

Quote:
I SAY PUREBREADS ARE OVERATED! I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD HALF CHAMPION YELLOW LAB AND HALF FIELD CHAMPION GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER

I find this statement highly ammusing. If purebred dogs are so overrated why are you bragging on how your mixed breed comes from titled purebred dogs.

I SAY PUREBREADS ARE OVERATED! I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD HALF CHAMPION YELLOW LAB AND HALF FIELD CHAMPION GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER AND HE IMPRESSES EVERYBODY THATS EVER BEEN AROUND HIM. HE IS CALM YET ENERGETIC. GREAT WITH KIDS, HE POINTS LOVES PHEASANTS AND WATER........ I THINK ANY DOG CAN BE GREAT IF PEOPLE SPEND TIME WITH IT, I DON'T MEAN JUST TRAINING, BUT BEING A FRIEND TO THE DOG. YOU KNOW TAKING HIM FISHING AND WHATEVER. HAVING A DOG SHOULD BE A PRIVELEDGE NOT A RIGHT.. GOOD LUCK

When most gundog owners purchase a birdog it is like marriage is supposed to be - to death do us part. That said, the probability of getting a good bird dog from a reputable breeder is high compared to mutts or pound dogs. Sure mutts can and do hunt well - but then you may consider yourself lucky compared to many or maybe you are underestimatling your self as a trainer. Some bird dogs end up in the pound. Those that accept they will have to work through some potentially serious issues can get a bargin. Otherwise these dogs should make decent family/house dogs.

None of the labs i have had ever quit or were oot lickers. I hunt pheasants in n.d. from the start of the season until it closes in january. I see alot of pretty pointing dogs early in the season but not too many after the first few weeks. my female british lab had 67 pheasants shot over her on public land her first year. I agree that paying for a well bred dog worth it and my 11 year old lean mac female lab paused on most birds, maybe she was a pointing lab.

Guess we hunt in different spots of ND. My older Brit loves 0F to 15 above with some snow on the ground.

You can get a dud with any breed if you don't do you homework.

You've gotten a lot of suggestions for breeds. Once you pick a breed don't forget what your looking for in a dog because those characteristics will very within the breed. We can debate why that is forever.

Say you decided on a Lab. You want an upland dog that will hunt all day and you want a dog good in the blind. If you stick close to the Standards for a Lab that won't be possible. When I say hunt all that means quartering all day with stamina and endurance and not just getting hot when there is sent. You'll need a Lab with a longer open gait built to cover ground like Setter but with lungs like a Pointer. You'll also need that Lab to have a nose and carry his head high. For the blind a strong desire to retrieve. Then you want a dog to have the juice but be able to turn that off. Next through training and conditioning you bring all that together. If you can do all that with a dog of any breed then you've found the perfect dog for yourself.

I'm a Springer guy - so I have a little bias. That being said, I train with some guys who have a couple of big, beefy Springers out there that I think would fit your bill. And after watching one of them on the water leg of their Master Hunt test yesterday - they could handle a lot of ducks and geese.

My Britt Loves the cold and snow also. He also loves busting cattails. I think he is the perfect dog for ME. Is he the perfect dog for everyone, probably not. Have had and worked behind flushers before and prefer a pointer. Also not into Duck hunting anymore. Find the dog for YOU not what others tell you is THEIR perfect dog.

Guess we hunt in different spots of ND. My older Brit loves 0F to 15 above with some snow on the ground.

I dont consider a brit a pretty pointing dog. (just kidding) and no my labs dont run and cast all day long, they hunt the wind and find birds. any dog you choose is the best bird dog for you. Im not trying to argue about the best dog.