• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hull cleaner

Valv

Question

With the weather the way it is (cold frown.gif ) I am trying to get most of the "extra" work done on the boat before I can put it in the water.
Which product can I use to remove that dull coat on older fiberglass boats. I tried hull cleaners, buffing by hand, power buffer with rubbing compound, The Works (toilet and bathroom cleaner which works REALLY well on water deposits). At the end the paint still has that white-ish dull coat over the paint. I know, maybe a paint job will fix it, but I would like to try something else before it.
Any suggestions ?

9 answers to this question

Valv, I don't know if this is a good thing to put on a boat but I know when I want something to shine I use glass cleaner maybe vinager would work also. A friend of ours told us about using torlet bowl cleaner and my husband plans on tring it this year. I was really concerned about this, but it must really work. Last year I bought some stuff to clean our seats with. When using it it smelled like straight bleach. If thats the case I could use bleach for alot cheaper. Id just have to take the seats out so the bleach did'nt get on the carpet. Is it very exspensive to get a boat repainted? Ours is going to need it soon I'm afraid. Mary

You need to get a de-oxidizer hull restorer if the finish is just badly oxidized.

They work best if the hull is nice & warm, almost hot. Lot's of clean buffer pad's to lift the oxidation from the pours.

The best de-oxidizer I have ever used is the stuff MING uses to prepare and clean a finish prior to sealing it, awesome stuff!

If that won't do it well it is definitely time to think on a paint job.

Years & years ago I worked at a Ming and we did lot's of boat's and airplane's, may that was a job!

Seen old junk turned to new in a hour and the finish is protected from oxidation for a much longer time. Not sure what a average boat would cost now but I would consider looking into it?

BE....><,,>

Backwater Guiding Service
Ed Carlson,
#310 SE College Complex
Wahpeton ND, 58075

[email protected]

(701-671-3079)

BE, I know I sound really dumb but.....what is MING (or who is Ming) ?
I appreciate your input and sound like it's what I need.

Maryj, the best stuff I tried is The Works, toilet cleaner, very cheap insead of hull cleaner, just spray some on hull, use a plastic brush to work it around then after a couple of minutes rinse it out very well (it has some kind of small acid in it), voila' all the gunk is gone (even a husband knows how to use it, but we just don't admit it grin.gif ). Watch out, it smells bad and fumes are nasty, do it outside (of course nobody bring boat in the house) (I mean don't do it in the garage).

I have an aluminum boat (Lund) partly painted and partly raw aluminum. I was told to leave the unpainted part alone and let it be cruddy looking black - is that correct? If I should remove the oxidation on the unpainted surface, what is a good product? How about the painted surface? Thanks

"Ming" or a "Ming finish" is a name of a process and a market name. It is a franchised process that restores a showroom finish to aged or damaged finish's.

Don's car wash's in Fargo I believe has the closest franchise to my location.

In short it is a 3 part finish restoration system for most fiberglass or painted surfaces.

I would sure appreciate advice in regard to my earlier post "I have an aluminum boat (Lund) partly painted and partly raw aluminum. I was told to leave the unpainted part alone and let it be cruddy looking black - is that correct? If I should remove the oxidation on the unpainted surface, what is a good product and method to use? How about a good product to keep the painted surface looking good?" I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

I would ask Rob in the products forum on this one. He may know of a good product for cleaning aluminum and what you best course of action may be. A lot of guys may strip the whole boat and repaint? There are commercial tank cleaners that are used in dairy operations that will make a aluminum hull look like new if shiny new is what you wish to shoot for?

Thanks BE. Hopefully Rob will comment. I seldom post comments but read this forum a lot - especially the Red River. I enjoy your comments BE (your writing style, humor and your willingness to offer help to those of us with limited experience) very much. Yes, Rick, I do look at the sponsors ads. Thanks for a great forum.

We finally got our boat out this weekend and cleaned it with The Works Torlet Bowel Cleaner. This stuff really works great. Our boat is mostly white and was stained real bad. It now looks almost brand new.