• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The better half took a job in Iowa and will drive about 250 mi one way. Down Sunday back Fri and well worth the commute. Just wondering about AAA membership for her. Anybody have thoughts, have and use a membership?

Thanks

Tony

I aaa on all my vehicles, as my wife has a short commute but we travel. it has been used by friends i never have but knowing that it is there is a bit of comfort that hopefully you too wont be making the commute to retrieve her if something happens. just a piece of mind.

Membership pays for itself IF you exploit it. Get a discount @ one hotel and boom paid for. Get a jump or flat tire repair in ax bite falls Idaho and DING!!! Bonus.

I have never needed the help, but it is worth the peice of mind.

Not sure if they still do, but you used to get road side service free once a year (tow/jump, etc...). If you are going to be putting on that many miles, I would think eventually you will need help at some point!

Plus, the discount doesn't stink either. (nice to have for hotels/car rental, etc....)

I've had it in the past. And have used it a couple of times myself. But I have also used it for friends. If a friend is at your house and locks his/her keys in the car just call AAA for them. All you need to do is present the card when they show up. It doesn't need to be your vehicle.

The last time I called for myself was when I was living in my apartment and my battery died while it was -20 outside. Options were to walk to the Auto store and pick one up which meant taking the old one out and carrying it with to the sotre and then carrying the new one back and installing it. And remember its -20. Instead of that I just picked up the phone and called AAA. They'll come out try to jump you, if that doesn't work they can put in a new battery for you. YOu'll have to pay for the battery but it was about the same price as at the Auto parts store. And the best part is I got to sit inside where it was warm while the poor guy was out doing the work for me.

It paid for itself that day.

I've also used it for a few free tows which can save a lot of money. The lenght of tow depends on what level membership you get.

Personally if my wife was dealing with that commute I'd insist on her having some sort of road side assistance program. And AAA is the best as far as that goes. I just would want to make sure any breakdowns will be handled for her.

That can get to be a long drive in the winter and some of the storms can be pretty ugly. I think it may make a nice present that will make her feel more secure, probably worth the price right there.

I have it for my wife and she loves it. Doesn't have to be her vehicle, she just has to be there so it has gotten her and friends out of jams a few times. I would recommend the upgraded version that gives you a longer towing radius. I think the upgrade is $15/yr and it goes from 5 miles to 25 or even 50 miles. 1 tow will save you the money.

I have the AAA plus. The biggest snow storm we had last year when I went out to start the truck after my shift it woudnt... Great timing mad I work close to downtown mnpls and live in the Clearwater area about 60 miles away. The roads were horrible and I wasnt going to have the wife try to get thru it to get me. I left the key over the sun visor and hitched a ride with a friend at work that lives close to the same area. On the drive home I called AAA, gave them the plate number and location of the truck along with the garage to tow it to 3 miles from my place and it was there being fixed that evening.

The plus has a 100 mile tow radius and covers trailer tires/bearing issues etc. AND if I wouldnt have had a ride I could have went with in the tow truck. Also came in handy before when the teenager has called home after spinning out in the ditch. Everyone was fine just stuck, made the phone call and didnt even have to get out of my easy chair grin... worth every penny.

With the basic plan, I've had my personal vehicle and a work vehicle towed from the metro home to St. Cloud at no extra charge. I've used AAA for a tire, lockout for my sister's car and one time when I had a towing issue with my camper. I probably have called only 5-6 times in 15 years but like any insurance, it's there when you need it. I've upgraded to the RV plan that would include towing my vehicle and camper/boat up to 100 miles one way at no extra charge. My employer has some kind of relationship that allows me a 15% discount. All that doesn't include shopping or motel discounts.

Unless they've changed it, the Plus membership essentially gives you free towing up to 100 miles versus the standard 3 or 5 miles. As a former tow truck driver back in the late 90's, the tow rate for us was $3 per mile. So that can add up pretty quick, even if you need a tow across the Twin Cities.