• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Triton 215 Walleye boat

muddpuppy

The only way I could see not being able to test drive one, is if you're looking at a brand new boat, and they don't have one in stock w/ the motor you are interested in buying. If that were the case, I would look for a dealer that did, and go there for a test drive. If you decide you like it, now you can order it from your local dealer. If you found a dealer that will not let you test drive anything before buying, run, don't walk, away.

4 post yet nobody has anything to say about the boat in question....

MNfishingguy, the four posts were relevant to the topic.

I agree with testing the boat out. If you're really interested in doing so, ask to test it out. Good luck!

I hear you guys loud and clear. It's a ton a dough to go in blind wouldn't be smart. I will definately test one out before purchase.

Has anyone had the privlage to ride or drive one of there if so what are your thoughts. Comparisons to the other big boats would be nice to!

Thanks

MUDD

Originally Posted By: mnfishinguy
4 post yet nobody has anything to say about the boat in question....

MNfishingguy, the four posts were relevant to the topic.

I agree with testing the boat out. If you're really interested in doing so, ask to test it out. Good luck!

I'm not saying that the post where not relevent (although they all said the same thing) I'm just saying that still nobody has anything to say about the boat.

I am going to guess that nobody on this site has much experience with the Triton 215X, and since I have only seen one on the water I think that's a pretty good guess.

There might be better places to look for information and opinions.

Muddpuppy,

I had a Triton 205 which was the previous model for 9 years and also drove the 215 a number of times. The 215 is a great walleye boat. Very high quality, great finish, rides well in rough water, a ton of storage, good interior layout.It is a high performance boat and I caution people if they are moving up from something smaller to definitely take it for a ride and get used to the handling and speed before making a decision.

Pretty easy to drive once you get used to it. You can email Butch Furtman and get his opinion - he has driven one for 3 years now and is pretty accessible.

I fish out of a 205 about six times per year. His boat handles all conditions pretty well and has a good platform. The 205 owner plans to upgrade to a 215 next year. I plan to upgrade my boat next year and will also look at Tritons.

I think the primary reason you don't see too many - or have too many replies re Triton is the fact that there aren't too many dealers in MN besides Crystal Pierz. They had Frankies for a while and then severed the relationship. Triton has not figured out how to go after Ranger in this region.

Besides test driving the Triton, I would also compare the resale values of a Triton vs a Ranger. Upfront money is about the same but I believe the resale value will be higher for Ranger vs Triton after a couple of years and beyond. Might not be a big deal if you intend to keep it for a while though.

I think the reason the resale on Tritons holds up compared to Rangers because there's so many Rangers out there, and so few Tritons. If you look for at used boats you'll find lots of Rangers and there's always someone willing to deal on their boat in the midst of all that competition. If you look for used Tritons you might have trouble finding one, they're just not that common of a boat.

Besides not having much of a dealer network in this area, another reason you don't see many Tritons is because they stopped making glass "walleye" boats for a while. I don't remember the exact years, but about 10 years ago they had 2 models of glass walleye boats, then stopped making them for a few years (I think), and now they're making glass walleye boats again.

I think Tritons are nice boats. I've fished out of a Triton many times and like them a lot. The ride you'll get from a Triton is a good ride - faster and bumpier than the ride you'll get in a Ranger but that's true for all glass walleye boats.

Before I moved into my current garage (with attached house) I was going to buy a Triton but it wouldn't fit in my garage so I had to wait.

I can understand wanting to drive one before you buy it, but I assume you're talking about a new boat/motor ...... and any new boat you drive is going to ride nice with a light load on the nice days .... so what's it really going to tell you about the boat? The key is what it does when fully loaded and/or in windy, wavey conditions. Unless you take your test ride in sloppy conditions all you're going to accomplish is thinking that the boat runs great. If you're looking at a used boat then by all means try to get an on-the-water test.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck and have fun shopping.

Perchjerker,

Triton has always had a fiberglass Walleye boat.They introduced an aluminum line a few years ago but ever since 1999 they have had a glass boat.Muddpuppy, Walleyes Inc. is a great HSOforum for Walleye info including boats and has about a dozen 205's and 215's for sale if you need a starting price point for comparison. Most of these are pros boats and are loaded but it still gives you a lot of info for potential prices and equipment.

Triton was started by Earl Bentz. A huge name in speed racing on the water. I think another reason you don't see too many walleye Tritons is R&D. With all the pro's out giving input to ranger and lund Triton has not had as much input.

they have came a long way in there walleye boats from the years past. They are more of a bass boat company, becuase of Earls backgrounds, but there walleye boats are starting to fluid the market in our area, which is nice to see!