• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BOAT COVER???

triggertrav

Question

i am looking into getting a boat cover and am curious if anyone has any input on brand, style, etc. I have a 17.5 ft tiller boat w/portside trolling motor. I am thinking it would have to be a specific to the boat otherwise probably a waste. I would also like to be able to trailer with it.

Thanks for any input.

12 answers to this question

I had one custom made for my boat almost 10 years ago and it still looks/fits/works great. If you leave the boat outside at all with the cover on, cough up the extra $50-$100 and have one made specific for your boat.

TT,

Do a web search for "Shoremaster Boat Covers". They make them in Fergus Falls to custom fit many specific boats. I've had one for each of my last two boats and they have a real nice fit and are tough. You may pay a little more at first, but I feel you really save in the grand scheme of things. They aren't outlandishly expensive, so don't be scared away right away.

Good luck!

MJ

I purchased a custom made one for my LUND. I love the tarp and it seems to be of very good quality. Its the type that snaps to the side of the boat. I paid $600.00 for it but am happy I did.

Another option would be to look at Canvas Craft. They make very nice custom cover and will make what you want exactly. Not cheap but nice. One does get what they pay for in covers.

Just had one custom made last week at Erichsen Marine in Shakopee. Was recommended off this site by a couple people. I checked around and was the best price. Quality and workmanship are great...done in 2 days. Highly recommend...

Covers....and NOT - - -

I was totally unimpressed by the Lund "mooring cover"

I bought with my boat. You can't possibly put it on

while the boat is "moored", I.E. tied up at the dock.

(Gee, I thought that's what a "mooring cover" was for ??)

So, I went to the local canvas shop and had a "cockpit

cover" made.....which was perfect. Whether my boat was

tied up at a dock, or beached on shore, I could put this

cover on. No straps needed to be put under/around the

boat, and it didn't need to be on the trailer. Perfect.

It was made from Sunbrella, a fabric which is naturally

waterproof due to its tight weave. It's not cheap, but then

neither is having your floor replaced in your boat.

I found out it's not really "highway-speed-worthy", since

it tends to abrade at stress points. Still, it saved

my A$$ more than once on week long trips to wherever, and

again I could install it no matter what the situation.

The best $240 (1994 dollars) I ever spent.

Once again, the best solutions for sportsmen COME from

sportsmen.

I have a cover I brought from our dealer. It has the snaps all the way around, which mounted to the pro-trak Lund system (no holes!!!). Two adjustable height poles in the center prop it up nicely. They both have rain proof vents so it doesn't get musty smelling inside over longer periods of time. Trailers down the road great and no rub marks on the hull.

Another great option is Canvas craft. I saw some examples on an Alumacraft at Cabels that I was considering last year. It appeared to have excellent fit.

I was looking this spring for a custom travel cover. I have seen the strap on covers destroy the paint on a aluminum boat when trailered so I was looking at a snap on. My Lund has the traditional rail around the hull so there really is no good place to hide the hundreds of snaps they would drill into the hull. Also I really do not want to have to clean or wax around snaps nor do I want my line hooking on snaps when landing a fish. So I do not know what the best option is...

Lund Pro-trak system or not, the snaps are not hidden. I got used to the look very quickly and actually kind of like it. I have never had a problem with the line hooking the snaps. My Father in Law has a Canvas Craft on his Crestliner. They did drill into the hull, but it both looks great and does not seem to interfere in the numerous times I fished out of his boat.