• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bad League Etiquette

Bigslugger

I was out taking the pup out for a swim on Limestone today and noticed there was a fishing league out there. When I pulled up closer they were weighing in the bass they caught.

Not paying much attention to the but one thing did strike me pretty hard. This one guy had 3 dead bass in his bag. He throws one into the lake right next to me and laughs about it. Then throws the others right on shore next to the dock.

About 15 minutes passed and he didnt pick any of them up and I was starting to get pretty angry about this. I thought about calling tip about this but figured what is the use because they wouldn't be out for days. Anyways I said something about this to the coordinator of the league. He said something to the guy and he refused to pick them up because "The coons will eat em." He then picked them up and said I guess ill throw them away when I get home mad

I couldn't believe someone that is in a league is like that. Just shows how some people are just knuckle heads. Ahh it feels good to vent

Has anyone else seen this from a league?????

Sounds typical of some summer leagues. sick Look at all the fish they catch, die from mis-treatment. Just to get thrown in the trash? For what 10 bucks for a nite of fish? Making big money now! Maybe they should do a catch photo release, and stop the [PoorWordUsage] weigh-ins. mad Sure it could be the same as if guys were out just fishing? But lets face it, may boats have very poor live wells,if any? Carried around in warm water then thrown back later. I fished several fishing club events, run much like a pro/am. Boater and non-boater, each fish measured and released within a minute or 2. Run much the same as some of the locals, only each week pairs were different. Looking for the top angler.

Yeah that sucks. Is there anything that can be done? I know it would be difficult to get someone from the DNR out there to do something about it.

Another one that I've seen that irks me is come upon a guide with a group of clients out on the water, their catching the fish left and right because the guide knows his stuff and talks with the other guides. Well they already got thier limit, and are just catching and releasing and snapping some photos. Problem is many of the fish they release float belly up due to the warm water and the depth they pull them out of. I guess I realize the guides are out their making a living and letting their clients catch a bunch of fish can lead to a bigger tip, return trip, and recommendation to friends. But at the same time they're killing the resource. And all I see are the ones that float to the top. The ones that swim or sink to the bottom aren't noticed.

On my guide trips most fish are released. I try to get fish back in water as soon as possible. Watching the fishes condition, if it looks like it may die we'll keep it. I had a little kid out Saturday, he had never caught a northern before. After he caught his fish I would release the fish. Most of our fish came from shallow water, deepest maybe 6ft. We did keep a few, so they could have a fish fry later.

Bigslugger, Was this clown fishing from a boat or from shore?? If he CRAWLED out of a boat, you have all the ID you need. That's "wanton-waste"! DNR frowns upon that...big time!! Do the 1-800-652-9093 thing on him! Lets see how 'cocky' the clown is in front of a judge!! I'd bet he'll be pretty "meek". It's the ONLY way that kind of s$*t will be stopped. Take numbers!! Details, ANYTHING you can, to bring these "CLOWNS" into court! I have the TIP# on my cel phone and I DON'T hesitate to use it! Like I said in 'Nam, SHOOT 'em all and let their God sort 'em out! Phred52

Bigslugger, Was this clown fishing from a boat or from shore?? If he CRAWLED out of a boat, you have all the ID you need. That's "wanton-waste"! DNR frowns upon that...big time!! Do the 1-800-652-9093 thing on him! Lets see how 'cocky' the clown is in front of a judge!! I'd bet he'll be pretty "meek". It's the ONLY way that kind of s$*t will be stopped. Take numbers!! Details, ANYTHING you can, to bring these "CLOWNS" into court! I have the TIP# on my cel phone and I DON'T hesitate to use it! Like I said in 'Nam, SHOOT 'em all and let their God sort 'em out! Phred52

Do this as well as turn in the league. If the administrator didn't take action, then the league deserves just as much as the single fisherman gets. No reason to run things like that.

Sounds like a typical Bass fishing event...

Only contest I do is catch and release...King of the Cats.

WHOA

Easy on the pointing fingers. I am an avid bass fisherman, and I have been to many events, I have been on a league in wright county for three years now and in all my events, I maybe have seen 2-3 dead fish, and all dead fish were brough home and fried up.

Might want to be careful when pointing fingers.

ALL-IN

Bigslugger, Was this clown fishing from a boat or from shore?? If he CRAWLED out of a boat, you have all the ID you need. That's "wanton-waste"! DNR frowns upon that...big time!! Do the 1-800-652-9093 thing on him! Lets see how 'cocky' the clown is in front of a judge!! I'd bet he'll be pretty "meek". It's the ONLY way that kind of s$*t will be stopped. Take numbers!! Details, ANYTHING you can, to bring these "CLOWNS" into court! I have the TIP# on my cel phone and I DON'T hesitate to use it! Like I smile said in 'Nam, SHOOT 'em all and let their God sort 'em out! Phred52

He was in a boat. I thought about taking plate numbers and all but I figured I didnt want to get in a brawl with this guy. I also have it programed on speed dial on my phone cool .The league administrator was very good about it Merkman

They will be on Ramsey this coming Tuesday if anyone is interested about it...and the guy had a white van and a older brown/tan Skeeter boat grin Im sure the same garbage will go on again

You know what lake you were on and the date. If it was a bassmaster league, the president has a schedule of league events.

Here is his contact info:

Joe Barnett

H - 218-736-1035

[email protected]

www.mnbf.org

They take public image very seriously, if it was a federation event he'll take care of this.

You know what lake you were on and the date. If it was a bassmaster league, the president has a schedule of league events.

Here is his contact info:

Joe Barnett

H - 218-736-1035

[email protected]

www.mnbf.org

They take public image very seriously, if it was a federation event he'll take care of this.

Thanks Chris

I'll shoot him a email over now

FWIW, the guy in question sounds like a schlub.

According to what you described, he would do things like that if he were in a league or fishing on his own. To do that in front of everybody at an organized event is proof enough to me.

This guy just happened to join a league. Don't judge all league anglers by this dope.

He'll be corrected or be forced to move on.

By no means do I have that view of the rest of league anglers.

I received email back from the whole board of MN BASS

Heres what they had to say

This would be unacceptable and wanton waste in our eyes. I am not aware of a tournament by one of our clubs at that location. I will forward your message to our board of directors and our Tournament director. If it was one of our clubs, he will be aware that they were having an event. The clubs are required to notify him of any organized event.

Peter, please cc me if you have any knowledge of this.

Joe Barnett

President

MNBFN

That is an unfortunate story. As bass tournament fisherman, our primary goal should be keeping the fish alive for a healthy return to the lake as we are mainly catch and release tournaments. However, as everyone knows, there will be causalities from time to time, no matter what measures we take in care for the fish. We can only hope to minimize that as much as possible. In the event that fish expire during an event before they can be returned to the lake, we should remember we are SPORTSMEN and act appropriately. The gentleman you describe was not acting in this manner.

I can tell you that our Vice President of the MN BASS Federation did Weigh In education last year for EVERY single BASS Federation club in MN. These "good practices" that were taught further enhanced our clubs' abilities to care for fish during the weigh ins.

As Joe said, I can not imagine this being a BASS Federation club given the involvement of things such as the program mentioned above and Conversation items that all clubs are involved.

From a personal standpoint, I can tell you that my club just fished a tournament this past Saturday. We have a very large club, but it was a low turnout for this tourney, only 10 boats (19 participants). Of the 90 fish caught, only 1 fish was lost. In a given year of 7 tournaments and HUNDREDs, if not over 1000, fish caught, we usually only lose 2 or 3 fish at the most. At our weigh in, we always find something to do with the expired fish. Often non tournament anglers at the weigh in location will ask if they can have the fish, and if that does not happen someone will take it home. In this case, one of our anglers was taking it home to his neighbor who likes to eat fish.

Thanks for the story , and Joe thanks for passing it on. I just wanted to provide you with a little more insight of our organization just so you were aware of our efforts in regards to this arena.

Thanks

Chuck

Thank you for contacting the Minnesota BASS Federation. I check the schedule for our clubs, we did not have any clubs fishing on that lake Saturday. I really appreciate you taking the time to help protect our lakes and caring for the resources we need more people like you to be involved. If I could ask one favor of you, if possible could you let me know who the League was that fishing that day, and how many boats were out, I can probably take this a step further for you.

Again Thank You

Peter Perovich

Minnesota Bass Federation

Tournament Director

They really do take this seriously. Thank you for the help on contacting them Chris!

Yeah that sucks. Is there anything that can be done? I know it would be difficult to get someone from the DNR out there to do something about it.

Another one that I've seen that irks me is come upon a guide with a group of clients out on the water, their catching the fish left and right because the guide knows his stuff and talks with the other guides. Well they already got thier limit, and are just catching and releasing and snapping some photos. Problem is many of the fish they release float belly up due to the warm water and the depth they pull them out of. I guess I realize the guides are out their making a living and letting their clients catch a bunch of fish can lead to a bigger tip, return trip, and recommendation to friends. But at the same time they're killing the resource. And all I see are the ones that float to the top. The ones that swim or sink to the bottom aren't noticed.

Yeah there is something you could do.

Wait until he/she isn't looking and throw them under the back seat of the car. wink

Bigsluger, thanks for taking time to write a letter and getting this situation in the hands of the proper people. It'd be way too easy to let it go and just move on. Good luck and keep up posted on what happens to the scumbag in question. wink

Bigslugger, Thanks for the info, Nice to see some of these guys will stand up and do something about these things.

I had thought about joining a fishing club, but more interested in having fun than, end up in a group where this is allowed. I'll just look to taking dads and their kids out.

Re: FM outting! [Re: zzz]

grizkid

FishingMN Family

Loc: St. Cloud MN i would be up for it but while fishing leagues this year we were notified by the dnr that once a fish is in your live well it is in your possesion and illegal to release. so if you are thinking of bringing the fish in to measure and then release thats a no-noFor our league now use a digital and a bump board release all fish immediatly except a few hear and there for a meal.

Something seems to be a miss.

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild
Sounds like a typical Bass fishing event...

Only contest I do is catch and release...King of the Cats.

WHOA

Easy on the pointing fingers. I am an avid bass fisherman, and I have been to many events, I have been on a league in wright county for three years now and in all my events, I maybe have seen 2-3 dead fish, and all dead fish were brough home and fried up.

Might want to be careful when pointing fingers.

ALL-IN

Saw that one coming.

Yes, once a fish go's in the live well it is not to be released. However, tournaments apply for special DNR permits which allow live release of fish until a certain date and then again after another date. Don't remember what the "kill" tournament dates are.

This is why the BASS leagues have to have their tournament schedules in the fall, so the permits are procured first.

fished in a 50 boat tournament this past weekend up north, almost 400 fish were caught, weighed, and released, the director and staff hung around after the release to monitor for any floating fish. We lost 4 out of almost 400. and those fish were taken care of, not "left for the coons"

not all tournaments are bad, not all leagues are bad. it comes down to the individual.

we were encouraged to weight often to limit a fish's time in the livewell.