• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hooking live bait

twostroke

Actually all I know came from others in this forum.

When I started using bullheads I was a firm believer in hooking them threw the mouth, lower jaw and upper jaw. At the start of last year I said I will never do it again. This was after being out with guys who have had major success with bullheads. They hook them threw the back behind the dorsal fin. The reasoning behind this is to be able to remove the hook during hook set when the bully is in the mouth of the fish. When you give the hook set the "onion", you are actually ripping the hook out of the back of the bully and hooking any part of the inside of the mouth on the flat.

Basically you need to hook just enough meat on the bully's back to be able to cast the bully with out it flying off. I have only used bullheads a couple times this year (but always have them with) and last weekend was one of those times. I was trying to prove a point that bullheads do work. I tried some new hooking methods and they did not seem to work with the bullhead. So I lost out. Keeping with hooking them behind the dorsal fin (IMO) is where it is at when it comes to the bullheads.

I will add this. I have about 15 flats (only one big one) caught this year. None of them have come from bullheads. wink

I am trying to beat the bullhead crack addiction and think outside of the box. It nailed me my PB flat this year and this was more than I wished for. Going into the long summer run now most of the best flathead anglers will be switching off of bullheads very soon. I hit the ground running going into this year and am hoping for some great results coming in the future.

Bullheads work for some, but the last couple years bullheads have not impressed me on the waters I fish. I had to make a change but still have them with just incase.

Their you go KC16. No hanging from me grin I know you know I am off bullheads.

I will add this. I have about 15 flats (only one big one) caught this year. None of them have come from bullheads. wink

So dare you tell your magic bait to those whom are listening........lol

Thanks for all the info very much appreciated!!!

Most of us that use Bullheads (primarily) don’t do it because they work better. We do it because they are easier to keep, and far less expensive to use coupled with the fact that they no doubt will put fish in the boat. If a Flathead is hungry they are going to eat whatever you put in front of their face. I’ve caught big fish on everything from the smallest piece of cutbait, right up to about the biggest thing you can put on a hook. I really don’t think one thing is better than the other.

If I had to pay retail prices for bait, I would have to quit fishing (or at least as much as I do). I’ve probably went through about 250 bullheads so far this year. Probably losing about 5% to natural causes smile

20doz large suckers can’t be cheap grin

As far as hooking them. I like to come across diagonally slightly behind the dorsal fin just barely grabbing enough skin to keep it on the hook. Lob casts are essential with this light hooking method.

I used to hook further back on the tail, but have since moved it a bit forward to keep the bait from having an easier time escaping the predator. I want to make it as easy as possible for Mr or Mrs Flatty to gobble it up.

Having said all that, I’ve caught 9 or 10 Flats in the past few nights, and I think all but one has eaten something other than a Bullhead. wink

Green and Yellow bobber with no bait eh?

Sneaky! laugh

Actually when Rapala heard I had a bad experience with the “Wizard” model extreme net man (he was all smoke and mirrors), they agreed to let me Beta test the newest model called “Spidey”

So far so good, (remarkable senses on that guy), then I also added a new energy drink called “Plasma” to my arsenal. That has allowed me to function on 4hrs of sleep, plus protecting my liver at the same time. Not only that, it’s “Lab Rat Approved”.

Yep bullheads are extremely effective bait. I think for me it is confidence thing grin. Going all season in 07 and 08 with a bunch of small ones and only one 30lb’er to show using bullheads (exclusively on the MN, Miss and Croix) just got me to thinking.

I am lucky enough to have a sucker hole that has not dried up yet. My two boys and I spend some quality time down their ever week and get our legal white suckers wink. It has actually been an experience I am sure they will remember for years. Some of the suckers I have in my bait tank have been in there for over a month and a half. We have a juvenile redhourse that has become a pet of sorts grin. He seems to get let out of the bait net when loading up for a trip every time.

Like I said for some they work great, I have them with always. If the person(s) I am fishing with have a flathead/bullhead explosion during a trip, I will not hesitate in a minute to throw on one. I hate to say it but my die hard bully cameraman has a goose egg on the flat side this year whistle. Maybe more operator error than anything. He has lost out on a hand full of nice fish due to hook set issues and using a bait caster for the first time this season.

I guess I just got burned out on them and have luck using other baits and techniques. If you are in a slump changing things up is a must, but I will never rule out the power of the bullhead wink Too many big fish caught on them.

So far so good, (remarkable senses on that guy), then I also added a new energy drink called “Plasma” to my arsenal. That has allowed me to function on 4hrs of sleep, plus protecting my liver at the same time. Not only that, it’s “Lab Rat Approved”.

Now there is a good new thread topic to start grin Energy drinks.

My two Redbulls with a 5 hour chaser is not holding up like it did last year. Kind of makes me sick now grin I am back on Sobe now but it must be the constant use of these during a period. Not much for working and I am starting to get burned out on anything in the energy drink cooler sick

Plasma you say huh? grin