Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coombia21

cb radio

29 posts in this topic

i am going to put a b radio on my truck and i was wondering what would be the best one to get for under 50 not including whips and what would be the best whips to get

wal-mart has cobras for under $50. might i ask why do you want a cb radio in ur truck? or do you just like the look of the whips?

you can get a handheld so you dont have to mount or drill holes in the roof or bed for 49.95 it is a midland

i like the look but i cant talk on the cell phone until i am 18 and i can only have 1 other person in my truck so i have to travel with a bunch of trucks so this is a way that we would be able to communicate between trucks

i like the look but i cant talk on the cell phone until i am 18 and i can only have 1 other person in my truck so i have to travel with a bunch of trucks so this is a way that we would be able to communicate between trucks

do you live in a big city or something? i just turned 18 but when i was younger i ALWAYS talked on the phone and had a pile of ppl in my truck. i live in a rural community maybe that has something to do with why none of the cops cared?

the law is only a year old and everyone under a certain age after the law was made has to follow it

well thats dumb... if i was you i would just put the whips on for the "look" and talk on my phone. alot of my buddies just have whips for the look no cb

The bad thing about having the look and no cb is when truckers and others need info tthey think you have a cb but can't reach you what if its a dire need to communicate ie emergency

well thats dumb... if i was you i would just put the whips on for the "look" and talk on my phone. alot of my buddies just have whips for the look no cb

And if he gets caught- I am sure you can pay his fine. Alot of states are doing this now, studies have shown that teens on the phone= alot of accidents.

Even more studies have shown that adults on phones= alot of accidents.

If your not going to spend $100 on a CB I wouldnt bother. The cheap ones are junk.

if i get a ticket i cant drive parents rules so even if the ticket isnt expensive the fine i have to pay at home is

And if he gets caught- I am sure you can pay his fine.

doubt it... just put your phone down when you see the 5-0. i have the same rules in my house but around here there isnt alot of cops atleast where i drive. maybe different for you.

Why not just wait and call when you're stopped or call em back later. Is it that important to risk getting in an accident over a phone call?

i am going to use it when we are going on trips and are taking more than one vehicle so we can communicate between vehicles without the hassle of worrying about cops and finding the phone every time i need to communicate with the other truck

really it is a nice thing to have but not necessary so i will hold off till i have the extra money to use to put into the truck

I would invest in a couple 2 way radios. They have made significant advancements in there power and range over the years and the prices are really reasonable. The other nice thing is that they can go wherever you go. Fishing, hunting, camping, skiing, 4 wheelin', or whatever. For around $50 you can get 2 units!

i didnt even think about that doing this will save me a good sum of money

I have an old Hygain Hyrange II you can have.

It was a good CB in its day, its yours if you want it.

if your going to get one i would run with a cobra. like the ones the truckers run theres a reason they have em. ive had a couple of the cheap cobras from wally world and the speakers seem to blow out right away so dont waste your time with them.

And if he gets caught- I am sure you can pay his fine.

doubt it... just put your phone down when you see the 5-0. i have the same rules in my house but around here there isnt alot of cops atleast where i drive. maybe different for you.

It isn't about being caught, the law was made because of how unsafe it is, especially amongst young, inexperienced drivers. Tell the person who used a phone because the cops weren't around that hit a minivan full of kids and killed a few it was ok, cause the cops weren't around.

if your going to get one i would run with a cobra. like the ones the truckers run theres a reason they have em. ive had a couple of the cheap cobras from wally world and the speakers seem to blow out right away so dont waste your time with them.

Many, if not most truckers run modified 10 meter HAM radios. Waaay more power than CB. Illegal of course. cool

Originally Posted By: Tyler23*

Many, if not most truckers run modified 10 meter HAM radios. Waaay more power than CB. Illegal of course. cool

Not true most truckers use either cobras, galaxies, unidens, etc... that have been peaked and tuned to put out more than the law says we can use which is 4 watts of output power. Ham radios are not in semis that I have ever seen and I've been driving over the road for close to 10 yrs

I wouldnt run just the whips for the "cool" factor. If you actually have a cb, sure run duals, looks better than a single, but dont run them with out a CB.

The truckers run a boot with the cb which is average 200 watts illegal yes but now days fcc doesn't run around busting them

The truckers run a boot with the cb which is average 200 watts illegal yes but now days fcc doesn't run around busting them

On a good skip night I can pick up truckers in Texas on my handheld in Blaine. If you try to run 200+ amps from a base station with a huge Yagi antenna, the FCC may pay you a visit.

grin