• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ethanol and your engine

I looked through the HSO forum for this topic and could not find it, so here is a start. It is based upon a discussion I had with my Yamaha dealer about problems they are experiencing down South. He recieved the information from a factory rep direct who came to the dealership and not through a bulletin or email. My dealer is notifying everyone personally. Now granted they use their boats more down South, however, we are subject to the same problems eventually. Down South they are also experiencing 15% ethanol blends, which is really causing problems. New boats or old the ethanol will effect you if you fail to take precautions. And understand, that the engine was not designed to run on ethanol blends for the most part and that means problems with warranties.

Ethanol fuel will:

-Attracts and absorbs moisture from the air. Boaters will likely face more fuel contamination issues from water absorbed through their fuel tank vents.

-Dissolves some solid materials (and can loosen any corrosion), e.g., varnish or even oxidation in steel and aluminum tanks, commonly found in fuel tanks, thereby contaminating the fuel.

Here’s what you can do to prevent some of these Ethanol issues:

-Use fuel that has 10 percent or less ethanol (good luck, thank you Congress)

-Use specific stabilizers that were designed for ethanol in outboard engines: Stratton or Stabil Ethanol Stabilizer. I use the Stabil per directions 1 ounce per 10 gallons. Fairly economical compared to a rebuid on your nickle.

- Use a marine grade injector cleaner to insure against a failed injector.

For Yamaha:

-Install a Yamah mini-10™ filter or 10-Micron filter (the smaller mini-10 is designed for smaller boats with engines 115hp and under). Both Yamaha products filter out contaminants and separate water from fuel.

-Carry spare filter cartridges in the event the filter element becomes clogged with contaminants while the outboard is in use.

If anyone else finds some good ideas, please post. . . an engine rebuild is around $6000 . . .been there done that, before the blends - "just" a failed injector.

I just had a problem with the gas that has 10% ethanol last week with my motar.It would run good on the high end but low end it would stahl.I think the gas we buy has water in it and the ethanol picks up water.I took some gas out of my tank in my boat put it in a glass and there was water in the bottom of the glass seperated from the gas.I put a brand new tank in fresh gas and oil took the carb off and cleaned the water out of it put it back together runs like a charm stabil is the way to go.The ethanol will also eat away your rubber hoses that the gas goes through.I myself think we all should speak our minds throughout the country to try to limit the content of ethanol they put in our gasoline its going to cost more $$$$$$$ for our precious vechicals and toys to fix and our country doesn't need that right now!!!!!

Back in the early 80s (when some of you were just a gleam in your old man's eyes) the 10% blend came out also . . .thank you California. I was in Tennessee at the time and my dealer there recommended an additive, unfortunately I don't remember the name, but it was gold/yellow in color. An ounce/10 gallons . . . just like now. I never had a problem with my 2 stroke 90 Merc, but my Dodge truck ran rough until it got "cleaned" out. One day it just passed gas and all was good. Seems we are repeating history. Todd, glad the engine is running well.

Frank there is a additive that removes water from your gas a friend of mine (marine mechanic) showed me how well it works.The gas I poured into the glass the water was separated from the gas and was in the bottom he took a eye dropper and with one drop the water just disapeared INSTANTLY no joke this stuff works outstanding.I can't remember the name of the product it is made right in the good state of NY and it is $27 a quart and treats up to 80 gallons.