• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

channel cat bait Qs

mainbutter

Well I've become stumped on chasing channel cats down at coon rapids dam.. it's a nice place to fish in the evenings since it's so close to work and plenty of shore to choose from. Most of my fishing has been on the west side of the island a little ways down away from the big dam. I've pulled a grand total of 1 2lb channel cat this year there, but I know there are tons more to be found.

I have been stumped with finding anywhere to catch anything legal to use for cutbait, so I've had to make do with a couple evenings cutting up a sheepshead if I was lucky enough to hook into one.

I haven't done a ton of channel kitty chasing there, but it's time to change tactics a bit. I'm going to change locations(muddy river bottom on the east side of the island might be good I suppose.. only pulled one fish off the east side, though it was a very nice 15lb carp) and change bait. I'm going to give chicken livers a try, they haven't worked magical wonders in the past for me but at least I know they work sometimes.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for other bait to try out that I can either buy at gander mountain or cub foods, or know a good nearby bait shop?

Thanks for any advice guys, one channel in multiple evenings of fishing just isn't doing it for me and I'd love to change it!

Well first off in my experiences lately the channels havent been as aggresive as they usually are...call it spawn or call it whatever you would like but they arent biting that good for me either. One of the best baits i use is cut sucker. Either catch a nice 12 incher and cut it into chunks or simply go to the bait store and get a dozen suckers. If you buy them at a bait store just cut the tail off and thread them on your hook and all that blood will run out and give some scent into the water. Seems to work good for me. Good Luck mainbutter!

Just my personal preference, but I would much rather cut up a live bait, or one that has been frozen alive, then to cut up a softened floater and throw that out. Fresh cut live bait is much stronger too and will stay on the hook longer.

Also had great success with frogs and shrimp.

I’ve mentioned this before, but my favorite of them all is a 6-7” creek chub cut in half (head/tail) and then I run an 8/0 circle hook up the back just under the skin and up through and out the head. The majority of my biggest Channels and even some of my biggest Flats have fallen to this bait.

It’s been a hot item lately too whistle

when using frogs, do you use a whole live frog or cut it or what? I would like to try them.

I start with them alive hooked thru the mouth and if that doest do it I'll smack um on the groun, step on um they should be dead by then grin then I'll try it that way.

another bait that works good is dead shinners

I've had REALLY good luck at Coon Rapids dam this year-mainly with channels and northerns. I work in Anoka so go there often. If you want to join me for some catting, let me know. I'm using frozen sucker heads nowadays-it's risky keeping them hidden in the freezer at work!

Originally Posted By: ETH310
when using frogs, do you use a whole live frog or cut it or what? I would like to try them.

I start with them alive hooked thru the mouth and if that doest do it I'll smack um on the groun, step on um they should be dead by then grin then I'll try it that way.

another bait that works good is dead shinners

Thank god P.E.D.A isn't on here man.

You could always use my special bait. Go to sams club get a big thing of cheese puffs enjoy them till there gone smile . Then take bullheads and third them up dump them into the cheese puff container pour about 1 cup water in there and let them sit in the your car for two whole days. You would be amazed at what can happen when you use them.

OR

Go too your local Asian market find their minced garlic in a jar. Buy 1 jar minced garlic and then go ask for their scrap chicken liver. Throw the chicken liver in a Tupperware container and proceed to dump all the minced garlic in there and close. Now be patient, let it sit in the sun outside of your garage for three to four days. garlic+chicken liver+sun=no coons.

A few of the guys know all about what I am talking about

You could always use my special bait. Go to sams club get a big thing of cheese puffs enjoy them till there gone smile . Then take bullheads and third them up dump them into the cheese puff container pour about 1 cup water in there and let them sit in the your car for two whole days. You would be amazed at what can happen when you use them.

Cut Sucker, thats all a guy needs.

Go to the local bait shop and get some suckers 7-9" long or so, cut them up into golf ball sized chunks, and away you go.

Couldn't be easier... this stinkbait, livers in the sun, homebrew concoction [PoorWordUsage] is not your best bet in these parts. Down south is a different story.

Cut Sucker... keep it simple!

Now if you can get ahold of some nice Shad, I would recommend that as well.

Anyone remember the Kool-Aid flavored Shad trend from 3 years ago. wink