Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hookjunior

Splashguards

15 posts in this topic

I need to add splashguards to my boat just wondering if any one has any recomendations. I am hoping to make some rather than paying big money. Anybody have a set that they made that can give me some ideas.

aka wave wackers?? ive been pondering makeing somemyself.. one idea would be to get tin off a shed if you dont mind what it looks like or you could buy a 1/8" sheet of almunmim bend it so it deflects the waves away from back the boat..

If you were to make your own, find some HEAVY DUTY rubber to use. It will need to be flexible up against the motor, also any metal will scratch the motor.

i just had whitecap splash gaurds installed on my 2095dcx

Yar Craft very nice lookin and 200 bucks just as nice

as hericks(wave wackers) and bout a 1/4 of the $$$

i dont think you can make then for that

plus mine werent easy kicker moter on there to

he is in shakopee installed them while i waited

I made a set once for an old boat I had. Used some 1/4" tinted plexiglass. Got some rubber roofing from a roofing company for area next to the motor. Even made a cutout for my trolling motor. You can bend the plexiglass with a little heat from a torch. Just be careful not to get it to warm. Just enough so it bends. Get some thin aluminum strips to attach the rubber and you've got a set. Cost maybe 50.00. Don't have any pics, because it was about 15 years ago and 4 boats ago.

I installed Whitecaps on my previous boat. For the cost, it hardly pays to do it yourself. Wave-Wackers are a different story. They are much more expensive. At least they were when I bought my Whitecaps.

I totally agree with the White Caps. The Wave Wackers are more money and I belive the quality is the same. For the cost of the WhiteCaps shipped to your house, it would be hard to make them for much less if you figure your time. They fit my boat perfect and were very easy to install.

I have wave wackers on my Yarcraft(factory installed) but from what i can tell the White caps would be the way to go and save some money

I too made a set, bought a 2'x 4' pc of 1/4" polycabonite made a cardboard template that was bent to the angles i prefered, brought the poly to my local metal shop and had them bend it "cold" no heat involved, to my specs. bought some rubber and aluminum rivits and flat alluminum to attach all together. trolling motor cut included. total cost was less than $90 looked just like whitecaps when done.

splashguards003.jpg

Minneman those look great! I made a set a couple years ago. I went to the local glass store and found a scrap (2 x 4) 1/4" plexiglass. Cut in out on the band saw. I then found an old truck mud flap and cut that to fit around the motor and the trolling motor cut out. Drilled holes and bolted rubber to glass. I didn't bend the glass but I bought Metal strips and bend them to form an angle backwards and then simply bolted them to the boat and glass. It looks pretty good and works awesome. Total cost about 25 bucks....

Unless you're into projects and doing new stuff and have the tools to do it, I'll throw my vote in for WhiteCaps. Great product, great service, great price. I though about doing it myself, but saving a 100 bucks wasn't worth it for me. I would have wasted more time than it was worth. Might be fun though if a guy had some direction and right tools. Good luck.

I have had both whitecap and wave wackers. They are both nice, but for the money I would buy whitecap.

Minneman, those look really nice, where did you get the polycarbonite. I checked out the white caps HSOforum and they do look nice and the price isn't bad, but extra time is easier to come by than extra cash so if a couple hours of my time can save me between $100-$150 i am all for it. Thanks for all the replies.

To find the polycarbonate (lexan) plastic, look up plastic suppliers in the phone book. Another thing to consider is that they may be able to cut and bend it for you using a thermal brake. One thing to avoid is Plexiglass (acrylic) as it tends to crack under stress (screws and bolts) and is no where near as strong as the polycarbonate.

I bought mine at a local glass shop. I think I paid $40+ for the pc, tinted is more $. and $25 to have them bent at a local metal shop. I kept the template and did all the cutting I needed to do on a table saw and a jig saw. I think I found the rubber at Macs hardware. I enjoy doing these kind of things, a rewarding challenge.