• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So What Are The Channels Doing?

Shack

This question was asked in SteveD's thread by Hanson as when to gauge the time the flats start to spawn.

Well this weekend the smaller 3-8lb fish where on a tear with cut bait and rip-rap sloping to the main channel. We ended up getting 8 on Saturday and 12 yesterday. I looked at each one to gather info for the East Metro catfish Survey going on and not one of these channels had any signs of spawning to them. No milt, no eggs and no true channel spawning marks that I have found in the past. Funny thing is this same spot only day before held an great bite for small 8-15lb flatheads on cut bait. With a couple days the small flats moved out and only channels.

I was on the phone with a fellow river rat last night and he brought the question up:

Did the spawn occur early this year and everyone missed it?

Or my question: How many fish are going to spawn this year due to the weather/water levels we had this spring? I am sure only a certain percentage of eligible “spawners” even spawn under normal ideal conditions but what about a spring like we had? Could the amount of spawners have dropped so low, spawned early and we missed the mark? Are they going to spawn even this year?

I know it is only June 23 and maybe the spawn has not even started with the channels yet but you would figure some milt or eggs would start showing up.

Just a question I figure I would toss around. With the amount of fish being caught this year I guess someone would have reported some action spilling in the boat by now.

The other question I have is out of the eligible spawners that do not spawn this year, would they still go into full blown spawn pattern, or just keep on doing what they have been doing all year?

I know all three rivers are diffrent when it comes to this stuff but just wanted to get other opinions on this.

Thanks!

I can't imagine that the water has sustained the kind of water temps that would precipitate spawning. Wasn't it about a week ago the water temps took a hit and dropped into the low 60s? I don't think any fish is triggered by hitting a temperature mark, but rather sustaining a certain temp.

I heard reports of upper 50's in some places. Going from lower 70's down to upper 50's and back into the mid 70's in a hand full of weeks has got to do something that has not been done for a long time to these fish.

I figure with some of the reports due to water temp of non-spawned out panfish and bass being found I wonder if this will have an effect on how channels and even flats spawn this year.

Just because they have egg's inside does not mean they will be sowing any wild oats wink

Just trying to get a feeler on what others are seeing with channels right now. Thank B77 for the feed back.