• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiper motor

92 Chevy 1500- put a new wiper motor in last night. The wipers will sweep the normal length, but now instead of parking at the bottom of the windshield it will pause there for a second and then pop up about 1/3 of the way and that is where it will rest when in the off position. I tried to make every sort of minor adjustment but that would only make them park farther up the windshield. I've tried to manually just force them back down but that don't work either. Think its just a fluke of the motor or did I mess something up on the install?

Ha! Not laughing at you, but at myself smile I did similar thing when I put new motor in my 98 k1500 about a year ago. Folks here helped me, I think airjer and maybe shack and others.

I did not have the starting point correct. Nothing I did would fix it, tried to "reset" the motor memory by taking off the batt cabel, hitting gas pedal to reset codes, disconnecting the wiper motor while it was running, turngin off engine at the timie the wipers were "perfect", you name it, I tried all that stuff before getting the right info here smile

I think you just have to take motor back out when it is at the "rest" position. then align wipers correctly, put motor back in. Also, I was trying to do this from a small hole where the motor gear comes out the firewall... I did not know that it was waaaaaay easier to just remove the plastic "screen" or guard just in front of the windshield. Sooopid me smile That made life easier, but then I crimped a washer fluid hose first time I put it back on, then routed it incorrectly second time, but third time was a charm smile

This half hour job took me all afternoon smile two days in a row, ha! So that is why I am laughing at myself! Good luck!

It is possible that the motor was not in the correct position to be installed. Plug the motor in have somebody turn on the wipers and then turn them off. Wait until the motor stops the motor is now in the park position. Reinstall the motor making sure not to rotate the shaft and making sure the wiper arms are in the correct position. The place where the wipers stop when the switch is off is referred to as the park position.