• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hitch-Mounted Cargo Carrier

McGurk

Question

Looking for some advice as I ditched my truck for a smaller SUV after the upgrade to family status. I have seen hitch-mounted cargo carriers on vehicles, but have no 1st hand experience with them. I added a class III hitch and tranny cooler right away, so I'm not too worried about hauling. It would be nice to not have to use a trailer to carry my Otter Cabin fish house when going out, and for the other things that come along with long distance family trips. Any experiences or thoughts?

The one I have in mind is here, due to the extra width:

Gearcage Cargo Carrier

7 answers to this question

I've been looking at doing this too with my 4Runner (use to have a Tundra). I too do not want to deal with the trailer bit.

I can say it's no fun loading up in the dark after a long day of ice fishing, folding the seats down, put the auger here, the heater there, make sure the door closes, try not to scrach the interior......

My problem is I have Fish Trap Voyager so it's too long for any carriers I've seen. I'll probably get an Otter Medium sled house (can't remember the name) and a hitch carrier before next season. I'm even looking into having one custom built to fit the portable.

Glad I'm not the only one in this boat. The one I'm looking is an assemble-yourself job, and I think you could leave the side cross-bars off to get a longer fishhouse onto it. Most of them have a 24" max width, and this one is 32" wide allowing for a wider sled.

A couple of drawbacks: opening of the hatch with it loaded, covering the taillights while loaded, and not having a rise up from the hitch makes me worry about bottoming out on launches and ice heaves with it sticking out so far.

I have had one for about 7 years. It has come in handy many, many times. In the winter I put my clam portable and then my auger on it. I have used it to haul coolers, lumber, deer.... Never had an issue with bottoming out. I think it it rated for 300 lbs. It sure beats pulling a trailor around.

A couple of drawbacks: opening of the hatch with it loaded, covering the taillights while loaded, and not having a rise up from the hitch makes me worry about bottoming out on launches and ice heaves with it sticking out so far.

I have a Grand Cherokee and use it for everything from ice fishing, going to the cabin and hunting. Have had various models over the years and have found that I put it on and take it off a lot so weight is key along with ease of installation. I have a Reese Polypropylene Cargo Carrier and it can hold 400 pounds equally distributed and is not tough to put on because it is light. Stores easy and washes off even easier.