• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone been up to MINAKI or going soon?

I will be in MINAKI the last week of July so I have some time still, and knowing things will change from now until then. I still can not help my self to see how thing are going week to week from now until then.

PLease share!

We'll be at Rough Rock the last week of july chasing muskies from there to big sand to little sand. Water looks like its holding stable pretty high. Hasn't been much chatter on walleye central either. Some friends are up there right now they are after eyes and smallmouths, but I haven't heard how it is going.

I will be up there from July 18-25. Another group is going up the week prior to that. I will make sure I post when I get a report from them. We only go for Walleye when we go up and have been up there for the past nine years now. Always really good fishing. The "hot spot" always seems to change from year to year though.

Speed,

where do you stay when there? We stay at Fergies Corner in the same bay as the marina. Our main goal like I said is Walleye and while some spots tend to produce more then others you can just about drop a line anywhere and catch fish!!! 25days and counting!!!!

Debo - howed your friends do up there how was the weather? Do you guys Fly-in or drive up and boat in? I only recall seeing the one road up in rough rock but did see much for resorts on that road.

Sounds like my friends had one of there better trips ever up there and they have been going for 20+ years. Lots of nice walleyes. Sounded like they had pretty good weather as well which always helps the bite.

We are boating in to rough rock. I have stayed in town at the cove my first 6 trips or so. I'm looking forward to being close to a lot of spots that I don't get to fish around sundown and later because I like to start making my way towards town by dark. I don't mind driving on the lake around here in pitch black but up there it gets DARK.

DeBo...That is GREAT to hear. I am counting the days until I go. Did they give you the "hotspot" for them?? I assume the big ones were caught off of Washtub..as they usually are. Last year we watched a guy pull up a 31" walleye in that spot. It was really neat to see it. Maybe this year I will be the lucky one.

Debo, what are you guys doing for gas? we normally go through a tank a day up there. It would be sweet to stay in rough rock though I like the seclusion. The Dark up there doesn't bother me a bit. We spend alot of nights running cranks in big sand till 12-1am pull in some slabs and enjoy the sunsets and stars. To me the veiw on big sand is second to none. This will be my 4th year up there I hope to some day be able to say it's my 20th! your friends are lucky.

Speed, Never had a lot of luck in the tub but I could deffinatly share some spots with you. I am headed out of town for the weekend here real soon I will shoot you an e-mail when I get back.

Speedbump,

Those guys fish up in big sand the most.

Mudpuppy,

This year we are coughing up the extra money to stay at roughrock lodge. My dad doesn't care for staying in the boat for 12-14 hours so we are gonna try roughrock. Roughrock is small enough that a guy can go out early and come back for lunch and a siesta without burning mountains of gas and more importantly wasting time driving (tiller with a 75). I know there are plenty of good spots close to town but part of going to canada is getting away from it all so I like to fish my way to big sand or roughrock for the day and back. Staying in town just doesn't lend itself to a mid day siesta and lunch.

It is quite a bit more money but it will be nice to not hear trains going right by camp. The best place to stay up there would be the sand lake outpost cabins on dead boy/man I forget which island. Ideal location for all the areas.

We tend to stay in Big Sand for the majority of our day. Stop at Raspberry and look closely at the depth finder as we go through Washtub. If they are feeding you will definately see them. Last year No Name Reef was the big winner, maybe it will finally be the same two years in a row. Can't wait to get up there.

10 Days and counting for me can't wait. wondering if anyone else has been there recently. Sounds like business is picking up for this area. we are normally the only ones at the resort we stay at. This year sounds like they are booked solid along with a couple other places. Should be fun!!!!

How's Minaki in September, want to take my wife up but can't get away til then. Mostly like fishing eyes and smallies but have contemplated a guide for a day of Muskie fishing.

I have only been there end of July but I can't imagine fishing would be bad and the scenery is always great! I say go for it and have fun!!

September can offer pretty nice weather. ALthough cold and rainy is a about as likely as sunny and nice. As far as I know from what I have read and seen up there that time of year is the smallies and walleyes are fairly deep. Common for shield water. Probably one of the best times of year for casting for muskies. THey start moving towards main channel areas. Nice and quiet up there that time of year as well if that interests you.

Just back :-( Fishing was slower then the norm but still good just didn't boat 100 eyes a day. weather could have been better rained everyday. Made good use of the rain gear and rubber boots. water temp was 63-65 which is cold compared to the norm this time of the year.

our big fish

Walleye 27 3/4

Northern 41 1/2

Musky 34

Smally 15

Just got back as well. 6 skis in the boat from 34 - 44 lost plenty and had plenty of chances as usual. One great big fish spotted as well. Pretty much only fished roughrock and the one day we made the trip to big sand for pike and skis the weather hosed everything up. Man the water was cool only 65 pretty much everywhere and I guarantee it didn't stay warm very far down. First time in 3 trips I didn't get a 40+in pike. Course that was the only bummer of the trip. Sure wish I was still up there.