• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to catch Bullheads?

mhines

So after all the reading I've been doing around here, i still haven't figured out how everyone's catching bullheads to use for bait. Whats the trick, what kind of equipment is needed? What types of areas do you set the equipment in? How long etc......

Please educate a newbie!

Thanks!

I usually just go down the the crow river and set up a plain hook and 1/4 weight kinda like a lindy rig and use a small piece of night crawler and I get a few that way... enough to get me catfishing anyhow. 4-8 average day

only problem with that is you catch alot of carp, suckers, redhorses, and small catfish

Find yourself a nice pond, grab an ultralite tipped with a 1/4 oz jighead, put a little chunk of crawler on jighead, cast out, catch bullhead, repeat step one. Very very simple, the key is just finding a good pond where the bullhead are prevalent.

those are probally the best ways to catch bullies but if your still having truoble catching them during the day dont forget to try the night bite. I've had my best luck this year right at dark and into the evening.

So to change it up a little bit, what type of traps are people using to catch bullies?

Also how about Willowcats? I've had some decent luck in the mighty miss. catching flats on willow cats, but at $1.50 a piece it gets spendy. I'd rather catch my own!

Man was it ever but managed to find some shaded areas that were even good spots to fish. Joey did ask this. do you think that anyone ever put a AC unit on a boat. I knew it was time find shade after that.

I see ur from winona... me too, and havent had any luck period on lake winona or lake lecaine out in goodview, but good luck to you, heres what Ive gotten in response to your ? before- Dog food, worms, nothing, dip bait, chicken liver, and anything u use to catch catfish really, hope this helps

I see ur from winona... me too, and havent had any luck period on lake winona or lake lecaine out in goodview, but good luck to you, heres what Ive gotten in response to your ? before- Dog food, worms, nothing, dip bait, chicken liver, and anything u use to catch catfish really, hope this helps

I havent caught a bull head around here in years, lake Winona used to be good, but im stumped, im thinking of tryin to catch some Willow cats instead.............they have caught me fish in the past.

I just think it would be fun(and cheaper) to catch some of my own bait

2nd that bullhead thing i jsut dont see how you cant get any.. when me and my buddy tried fishing for them we got 89 of the buggers!! in 2 hours at 3pm to 5 ...

In the Winona area??........if so how about some pointers

2nd that bullhead thing i jsut dont see how you cant get any.. when me and my buddy tried fishing for them we got 89 of the buggers!! in 2 hours at 3pm to 5 ...

Thats not every lake tho. Most lakes around where im from if you get one your doing good and its always too big to use. The river for me is the best bet.

There's a pond in champlin that has a TON of perfect bullheads, all 5-9". Here's the info on it.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=27025600

Every year I see thousands of 'em washed up on shore in the spring, along with some really nice crappies, actually. Also, Diamond Lake up in Rogers has a ton. We got a bunch that would be perfect size right at the access, just throwing out a pink jig under a bobber, just off bottom, with a chunk of crawler