Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mhines

How to catch Bullheads?

26 posts in this topic

So after all the reading I've been doing around here, i still haven't figured out how everyone's catching bullheads to use for bait. Whats the trick, what kind of equipment is needed? What types of areas do you set the equipment in? How long etc......

Please educate a newbie!

Thanks!

I usually just go down the the crow river and set up a plain hook and 1/4 weight kinda like a lindy rig and use a small piece of night crawler and I get a few that way... enough to get me catfishing anyhow. 4-8 average day

only problem with that is you catch alot of carp, suckers, redhorses, and small catfish

I've also heard of people using traps but i've never used one for bullheads

I have been catching a lot of them in my traps, but they are very small.

Find yourself a nice pond, grab an ultralite tipped with a 1/4 oz jighead, put a little chunk of crawler on jighead, cast out, catch bullhead, repeat step one. Very very simple, the key is just finding a good pond where the bullhead are prevalent.

those are probally the best ways to catch bullies but if your still having truoble catching them during the day dont forget to try the night bite. I've had my best luck this year right at dark and into the evening.

Is it legal to fish at night? smirk

Only if there is NO beer involved, that is why I only fish during the day. smile

So to change it up a little bit, what type of traps are people using to catch bullies?

Also how about Willowcats? I've had some decent luck in the mighty miss. catching flats on willow cats, but at $1.50 a piece it gets spendy. I'd rather catch my own!

I am just using the traps you buy at wally world, but madtoms need to be there in order ot catch them.

Is it legal to fish at night? smirk

isnt that what clickers are for a grincatmans alarm clock

Elwood, was it a little warm yesterday going out in the early afternoon? Yikes!

Man was it ever but managed to find some shaded areas that were even good spots to fish. Joey did ask this. do you think that anyone ever put a AC unit on a boat. I knew it was time find shade after that.

So what should one bait the trap with?

I see ur from winona... me too, and havent had any luck period on lake winona or lake lecaine out in goodview, but good luck to you, heres what Ive gotten in response to your ? before- Dog food, worms, nothing, dip bait, chicken liver, and anything u use to catch catfish really, hope this helps

If you want to catch bullheads, just come over to SW MN and try using live bait for walleye. The bullheads will drive you nuts.

I have good luck down at any small river openings where the current is slow and its mostly sand. for bait i like to use small chunks of night crawlers.

I see ur from winona... me too, and havent had any luck period on lake winona or lake lecaine out in goodview, but good luck to you, heres what Ive gotten in response to your ? before- Dog food, worms, nothing, dip bait, chicken liver, and anything u use to catch catfish really, hope this helps

I havent caught a bull head around here in years, lake Winona used to be good, but im stumped, im thinking of tryin to catch some Willow cats instead.............they have caught me fish in the past.

I just think it would be fun(and cheaper) to catch some of my own bait

1 more thing, do i need any special license to catch minnows, or willow cats, for my own use?

NO!

I see nothing about the willow cats as being off limits in the DNR regs.

What is the biggest one you have caught?

2nd that bullhead thing i jsut dont see how you cant get any.. when me and my buddy tried fishing for them we got 89 of the buggers!! in 2 hours at 3pm to 5 ...

2nd that bullhead thing i jsut dont see how you cant get any.. when me and my buddy tried fishing for them we got 89 of the buggers!! in 2 hours at 3pm to 5 ...

In the Winona area??........if so how about some pointers

Thats not every lake tho. Most lakes around where im from if you get one your doing good and its always too big to use. The river for me is the best bet.

There's a pond in champlin that has a TON of perfect bullheads, all 5-9". Here's the info on it.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=27025600

Every year I see thousands of 'em washed up on shore in the spring, along with some really nice crappies, actually. Also, Diamond Lake up in Rogers has a ton. We got a bunch that would be perfect size right at the access, just throwing out a pink jig under a bobber, just off bottom, with a chunk of crawler