• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Shimano Should I Get

I agree with Mike. Shimanos have been over priced and heavy for a while now. I found myself having to buy smaller reels to keep the weight down. Im one of them guys that no matter what spinning reel I buy I wont spend over about $80 and most of the times less. I just think it gets to a point of no return after that. Some very good spinning reels out there in the $80 range.

I really liked the old stradics when they were in the $110 range, now they started making them outta magnesium and added another $70. I still have my old stradics, but I have a feeling my next eye reel will be a symetre. I have a 750 on my ice fishing rod and absolutely LOVE it.

I've also got a spirex I mostly use for casting crankbaits, I've had it for years and really, really like that reel for casting cranks.

I hate to admit it ----- especially here in the walleye forum ----- but I do some bass fishing too and I like the spirex for some unweighted plastics techniques ......

I used to use nothing but Shimanos (Sedona's and Sahara's). I was looking at the higher end models this year but felt their quality was lacking.

I came across a Daiwa TD-Pro that Bass Pros sells. I bought one back in March and fell in love with it. They are on clearance now for $99 each (I liked them so much that I upgraded all 6 of my spinning rods).

IMO The spool design is much better than Shimano's....have had absolutely no problems with loops or wind knots...even when my wife uses them. (Of course she has been well trained to stop the line on the cast and close the bail by hand).

Not trying to get you to switch brands (I still use all Shimaon bait casters) but IMO there are better spinning reels out there.

I've had great luck with the Symetres. Go to jig setup is a 750 with 4# fireline on a 6' UL. Its a blast to fish with and handles everything from pannies to large northerns. Next is a 4000fi w/ a 9ft for Superior salmon and steelies. Skol.

I loved the old symetres and the new saharas at the same price point are amazing, so I guess thats what Id recomend. I dont think Id buy anything higher than the new symetre but thats just me.

Pflueger puts out a decent product and I still own a few but I like the features and innovations that shimano reels come out with. Pflueger seems content putting out the same old same old while every year shimano is pushing its reels to be on top. Things like the slow oscillation, new spool designs, maintence ports plus they have been listening and are bringing the weights of their reels down, though their spinning reels never were overly heavy *cough* quantum *cough*

I have several Sedonas and have liked each one. Especially the old 500 for Ice Fishing and now the 750.

I have a 750 Sedona on a 6'3" Lamiglass jigging rod and its a great light set up combo. The 1000 size reels would also work.

I've had 2 symetre's in the past year go bad on me. I'm not bad mouthing Shimano, I still think they make a good reel. The problem I had with mine was the reel would all of a sudden free-spool, and it always came at the worst time, when setting the hook or when fighting the fish.

Has anybody else had that problem???? Is it a neglect of maintanace????, because I dont do any.

Did you just put new fireline on? I had this problm once when I first put fireline on one of my Symetres. It would turn on the spool because I didn't have it tight enough or didn't use a bit of mono as backing.

The only thing I've ever had go wrong with any Shimano was a bail wire breaking on one of my Symetres. I don't know how it happened, it just broke. Maybe it was put into the rod locker wrong and was only a matter of time until it broke or what, but it was a $10, 5 minute fix, so I wasn't too put off.

I would definitely buy another Symetre. I would also consider jumping up to a Saros, though I've never used one. I just trust Shimanos because it's all I've ever used and I haven't had any major failures yet.

Your one way bearing is dirty. You have to take it to a reel repair guy and have it cleaned. It happens to all my symetries every 3 years or so. If your one way bearing in dirty you will know it the first time out in cold weather or try to snap your lure out of a snag.

mw