• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Shimano Should I Get

Guys I came across a heck of a deal on Fenwick Techna AV rods this spring I got a 6' 0" for half price hard to pass that up. So I am adding that to my jigging rod line up. I will be used only for that purpose. I am a loyal Shimano user and have some Stradics and Sahara and have been well satified with them. I used to only get the Stradic but the prices have been getting to be more that what I want to spend. Anyhow I am satified with the Sahara no complains. They have also just recently redesigned the Sahara so I don't have one of these new ones yet. But the Saros really has my attention. But I am trying to decide between the Saros, Sahara, and Symetre all in the 1000 size. Other that obviously the price points what do I get that is better with the more expensive Saros compaired to the middle of the road symetre to the cheaper Sahara. I will be running either power pro or fireline on the reel. What do you think

I really like shimano. Last year I looked at all the model and just got a feel for the one I liked without looking at price. I bought a saros 2500. This year I decided to get another spinning real for panfish and wanted a 1000 model. I again looked and looked closely at the stradic, stella, etc in comparison. I picked up the 1000 in saros. I would not buy anything but saros and will probably get another one before the season is over.

I know it wasn't on your list but the sedona 1000 is an awesome reel for only $60.

No they aren't smile. I have a couple of these not even close the the others I mentioned in my mind. I know what the Sahara are like I one of these and one of my main fishing partners has like 7 or so they are the only thing he buys. He looked hard at the Symetres and he thought they were too similar to just the extra that was his opinion. I have always like my Stradics reels though. But that Saros really have my eye I like the way those look and feel.

Well if the sedona is out of the question, I've used a sahara before and liked it.

You should be happy with whichever reel you decide on. I've never had a bad shimano. Best line of reels out there IMO.

Go for the Saros or Stradic. I finally decided to spend a little more money than I have in the past and picked up a Saros 2500 last year for a GLoomis rod I built. The Saros is so much smoother than any of the cheaper Shimano's I have purchased in that past (ones in roughly the $60-70 price range) that I really don't like using the cheaper ones any more (I still cause I can't afford to upgrade them all!). I won't be buying cheaper reels again after using a nicer one! I run power pro on the Saros.

i run symetres on 90 percent of my rods i really like that reel balances well on my rods but i would agree try them on your rod and see what one feels right the are all good reals, weights are similar 6.9 for the sahara and 7.1 for the other 2 but it may make a difference I love the new spool design on the symetre but i believe all models went to this spool. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mentioned.

fishwater helped make my mind up if I can get a stradic for that price especially since it is regularly $229 heck of a deal. I know the my other 1000 stradics are good one on this rod when I have tried it out. I don't like any size bigger than that for jigging.

All this for a reel on a jiging only rod? I would look through all your old reels and find the one with the worst bail spring and use it.

This looks more like a sales pitch then a question.

The only spinning reel from Shimano I like is the one with the quick fire bail but untill they get rid of that goofy twin handle it is not worth a look. IMHO.

All this for a reel on a jiging only rod? I would look through all your old reels and find the one with the worst bail spring and use it.

This looks more like a sales pitch then a question.

The only spinning reel from Shimano I like is the one with the quick fire bail but untill they get rid of that goofy twin handle it is not worth a look. IMHO.

Well every one has the opinion and that is good. I have 3 rods rig for nothing other than jigging so I guess I am weird to you but I bet there is a good number out there that will agree with me. Then again jig fishing is my favorite for walleyes. Since it is my favorite I tend to have more gear for that purpose. But the reel you mention I have and I don't like it. So, I guess I do have that one laying around somewhere but it has been so long since I have used it I wouldn't know where to begin to look for it. The quick fire bail hits my hand if I am not holding it right. It always backreels so the trigger is up which leaves slack in the line not favorable for me when jigging. With that reel I suppose I could put it on a catfish rod. Sure it would work but it wouldn't get a the same results I suspect.

I guess I don't see how it is a sale pitch. Hey maybe if it is I can get a commission on it that would be cool. I asked a pretty legitimate question about 3 quality reels and look for opinions from people who used them as is the point to these forums.

Quote:
Well every one has the opinion and that is good. I have 3 rods rig for nothing other than jigging so I guess I am weird to you but I bet there is a good number out there that will agree with me. Then again jig fishing is my favorite for walleyes. Since it is my favorite I tend to have more gear for that purpose. But the reel you mention I have and I don't like it. So, I guess I do have that one laying around somewhere but it has been so long since I have used it I wouldn't know where to begin to look for it. The quick fire bail hits my hand if I am not holding it right. It always backreels so the trigger is up which leaves slack in the line not favorable for me when jigging. With that reel I suppose I could put it on a catfish rod. Sure it would work but it wouldn't get a the same results I suspect.

I guess I don't see how it is a sale pitch. Hey maybe if it is I can get a commission on it that would be cool. I asked a pretty legitimate question about 3 quality reels and look for opinions from people who used them as is the point to these forums.

Do you think that type of setup might work for throwing crankbait??

Which Shimano Should I Get?? Or do you mean, What spinning reel should I get? My anwser to that is, a Pflueger president spinning reel. It has every thing you need and nothing you don't. It will hold you extra line as well as anything out there. It has a very good drag. You can back reel. It is as smooth as reels costing way more. A one way clutch bearing and a bail that will close. What else could you possibly need for jiging? And it cost less then $80!

You tell me who is fishing and who is taking the bait?

What could possibly make a spinning reel cost more then $100 and why would someone buy it?

Which Shimano Should I Get?? Or do you mean, What spinning reel should I get? My anwser to that is, a Pflueger president spinning reel.

You tell me who is fishing and who is taking the bait?

What could possibly make a spinning reel cost more then $100 and why would someone buy it?

Not saying that the Pflueger reels aren't all you probably need, but the stradics are a better quality reel without a doubt. They are easily maintainable for a lifetime of hard fishing. They also have an obvious higher degree of engineering and are made of better materials when examined. I have a good number of both reels and would not trade two presidents for one stradic.

I used to be a shimano guy. Now I buy the Pfluger Supremes. They are super light weight and have great drags. You have to use them a little to break them in and then they are just as smooth as a higher end Shimano. From my experience the weights have been going up on the Shimanos a bit more as well as the price thus making other reels out there that are better for the money IMO.

I really liked the older Symetry's and still have a half dozen of them or so and will have them for a while because parts are readily availble for them.

Quote:
They also have an obvious higher degree of engineering

Ok, maybe the stradic was hand polished by mountain dwelling pigmies in Borneo. Does that really make it a better reel.

A spinning reel is not that complicated. You can only take engineering so far before you start talking about the mountain dwelling pigmies in Borneo and do the fish really care about them?

We I am glad you like your Pfluger I like my Shimano there Muddog. Therefore my posting about which Shimano get and that is exactly why I posted about that.

Mike thanks for the info I will keep them in mine then next time I am looking.

As far as why anyone would spend over $100 on a reel well for me it is simple I just have so much money laying around I have to get rid of it somehow smile. 2 of the 3 reels I was taking aboud were under that price point...