• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Rebecca Rockford

mrklean

Many people who are serious about musky fishing frown upon fishing lake Rebecca since it is used as a rearing pond. The lake is very small and EXTREMELY weed choked in most areas.

I view it as more of an action lake than a lake with "HOGS" in it. In my opinion there are a lot better options in the metro area for big fish than Rebecca.

If you do go, you are correct, there is no motor allowed on the lake. Find the weed edge and put your trolling motor down and fish the whole shoreline all the way around the lake.

Boated 3 on a lake very close to Rebecca Saturday, Lake Independence. You also need to pay to use the landing on both of these lakes if you do not have a permit. Good luck!

I've heard the DNR clips the tails on the ski's so they don't get over 48" so they can keep them in there. Makes sense. Are these the Leech Lake strain or the WI strain? Just wondering - I have caught 2 out of Rebecca going for bass. Large 10" powerbait worms or creature baits. I remember my buddy caught a 2lb bass then a ski came out and whacked it. It held on for about 30 seconds. Poor bass has some scars.

I've heard the DNR clips the tails on the ski's so they don't get over 48" so they can keep them in there.

Now that's a new one. And people wonder where all these false rumors about muskies come from.

No, the DNR doesn't clip their fins so they don't get over 48". They do clip fins to identify fish they've recaptured. In the spring they do this to id which fish they've stripped for spawning. In the fall they do it sometimes to get a population assessment. Now there is a new technology that is allowing the DNR to track individual fish with some of the fin clippings.

As far as big fish in there, it's probably your least likely chance of getting a 50"er in the metro. The biggest fish in the nets for the past 3 years has been 48". If you do fish it, do it early and late in the season. That lake is known for summer kills so we already know that the O2 levels get low making a good release tougher.

Asteffes is right,,alot of us choose not to fish Rebbecca because it basicly is the garden of eden for alot of the states muskie waters almost all of the dnr egg take comes from here. People hear the word brood stock lake and they assume "big fish and lots of em" I think the biggest fish Rod Ramsell milked in all the years he was there was 49 inches,,,,Tonka,waconia,Indy all right down the road it would be nice to not target this lake "But" Having said that people have every right to fish this water if they choose.

here it is cut & paste from DNR HSOforum

Status of the Fishery (as of 06/06/2005)

Lake Rebecca is a 254-acre, class 24 lake, located one mile south of Rockford in western Hennepin County. Since 1987, Lake Rebecca has been Minnesota's primary source for Leech Lake strain muskellunge eggs.

My first encounter with a Musky. 20 years ago when my kids were five. We would take the kids fishing on Rebecca Lake because we could catch sunny after sunny and they wouldn't get board. Wanted them to like fishing. While my daughter was bringing in her snoopy pool with a little sunny on it a large musky took a snap at it just as she lifted it out of the water. I quickly grabbed her pool and put the sunny back in the water. Don't now what I would have done if it bit again. I'm sure it would have just cut the line. That was the best day on the water with my kids. On Rebecca. I'm sure you all have herd of the young kid who was swimming in the netted beach area that was attacked by a 40+ musky. I believe 50 stitches later he now no longer swims in lakes. Fun lake for bass as well, early season. Later to many weeds.

MK

actually I spent a sunday this spring watching the dnr guys capture fish and milk eggs, brought em lunch too "Mcdonalds" nothing too good for our DNR boys!!!!

Think about this next spring call the dnr west metro office and ask when they will be taking eggs from Reb it is very intresting to watch and sometimes they can use some volunteer help too with all the budget cuts.