• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinning Reel Maintenence

lindy rig

Question

I have two Shimano Stradic spinning reels, bought them last year on clearance they are the older (white) version. I love the reels and the sensitive drag. Just recently though, they have started acting a little funny. When I cast and start to reel in, the first few turns are kind of stiff and you can almost feel the gears turning. Then, after a few turns it will suddenly go back to being smooth.

Any ideas? Should I pack some grease inside where the handle screws in? Would like to keep these reels in good shape.

6 answers to this question

I was trying to find the past posts about this but no luck. You could try Shamino's web site I believe they have a diagram on how to clean and grease. You want to grease where your drag and drag washers are. That would help you the most. Hopefully someone can find the previous posts better than I can.

I had a spinning reel that was doing that, not shimano, more of a blue light special a few years back. This one has a removable spool, the drag either had to go all the way loose then it would come off. My point here was there was a nut that wobbled off somehow so it was sitting off center causing resistance with the turns, removed and reset the nut and works as well as a $9.99 reel can. grin

When I cast and start to reel in, the first few turns are kind of stiff and you can almost feel the gears turning. Then, after a few turns it will suddenly go back to being smooth.

Any ideas? Should I pack some grease inside where the handle screws in? Would like to keep these reels in good shape.

Sound like the gears aren't lubed enough. Packing some grease inside where the handle screws in won't do it, you'll need to open up the reels and put the grease in the worm drive and other gears. Not difficult to do but if you don't want to tackle it yourself take it to a reel repair shop. I use Quantum Hot Sauce on my reels and it works great, keeps them nice and smooth.

I use Quantum Hot Sauce on my reels and it works great, keeps them nice and smooth.

I will second the hot sauce. That is what I use on all of my reels and makes my 20 year old reels run better then when they were new but they are broke in just a little bit grin

I have the same reels. I really like them also. Mine are about 4 years old.

I was experiencing the same problem last year with one of them. I greased and lubed and although it would work for a few turns it progressively got worse. I thought perhaps I had gotten something in the gears and when I opened it they were fine. That's the end of my mechanical skills so I took it back to where I purchased it where I am a regular.

Upon initial explanation of the problem the guys gave me the usual Manly Deprivation until they took it and (Hot Sauced) it without any results. Opening it up and finding everything to be fine someone mentioned that a Shimano rep was in the store. We shared the problem with "Kenny"(Shimano Rep)and he disassembled it further as he suspected it was a rubber O ring type gasket which it was and was somewhat mangled and causing the reel to hang up as if you were to put something into the gears.

I don't remember where it was located or how he took it apart to get to it but he assured me if I let him take it with him he would fix it and send it back to me which he did pro bono.

Now I'm not saying that this is the problem you have but it sure sounds similar to what I was experiencing. As I mentioned, mine got progressively worse until I could hardly get it to turn.

I'm sure the part was about 5 cents. I'm confident my reel enjoyed it's trip to California and back as it is working perfectly. Kenny(Shimano Rep)was from there and just so happened to cross paths with me here at Thorne Bros and my problem. Serendipitous?

Good Luck...