• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spotted Coral Root

This unobtrusive orchid is difficult to find because it is small and blends so well into the duff it grows in. These plants are only about 8 inches high and the flowers are almost invisible until you put your nose right up to the plant.

Spotted-CR1.jpg

Spotted-CR2.jpg

Spotted-CR4.jpg

"Kaunis Kukka".....Nice find Ken!...I've never seen one of these little beauties yet...but then again I guess I wouldn't have known what I was looking at anyways grin....now I know!....I'll be watching the swamps for one!(assuming they grow in bogs).....12 days of vacation starting tomorrow...maybe I'll find one!(between my canoe/flyrod outings of course) grin

Jonny,

These actually grow on high ground. Isn't a swamp around for several hundred feet. These have been growing in the same spot for over ten years, and it's high ground, partly shaded, lots of duff laying around. When I first saw them there years ago, I walked past them and thought they were the dead stalks of some other plant. I had just gotten interested in orchids and something told me to take a closer look. Glad I did. You really can't see their beauty until you are within inches of the plant. Good luck! Hope you find some!

Jonny, the spotted coralroot is a VERY common orchid. As Ken mentioned, it usually goes unnoticed because it is so short and unobtrusive. Look in drier sunny/semi sunny locations where you find large-leaved asters and ferns. It is occasionally found in wetter habitats. The stalks are very bright red. It will be blooming for another few weeks, so you have a good chance.