• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Motor Oil Ratio

Shoot2Kill

Hello all...

Picked up my first boat with a motor last week - the motor is a 1983 Evinrude 25 HP. Might be a dumb question but I don't want to screw it up - what would be the correct oil/gas ratio? The back of the bottle says for most outboards dump the whole bottle into 6 gallons making it 50:1 - does this sound right? Of course all my extra gas cans are only 5 gallons! grin Thanks in advance.

Hey Shoot... You could just switch over to Amsoil and run that. I have a '77 Johnson 35 hp on my pontoon that I've been running Amsoil in for 7 or 8 years now and the darn thing runs better than ever. The correct Amsoil for that, is called 'Amsoil Saber outboard 100:1 Pre-mix'. I just got tired of stinking like the exhaust, and always having to replace plugs after a weekend or so of backtrolling. Now, I replace plugs maybe every 2 years, more often than not, I just regap the old ones and put them back in. 'TheOilman' can tell you more, but I'll guarantee, Once you try Amsoil, you won't go back to "dinosauer oil". Phred52

always having to replace plugs after a weekend or so of backtrolling.Phred52

I know i little bit out motors. but I have heard with sleds if you run them in a low idle (pulling kids on a sled). you run the [PoorWordUsage] out of the motor for a while and the extra heat is clean the plugs. but sometimes its a loss cause for some plugs that are too fouled. would that work?

do yourself a favor and get one of those oil mix measuring bottles. they are like $3 and are sold at all the stores you buy boating and or fishing stuff. I got mine at the place they wear orange shirts. It makes measuring out the oil simple. this way you can buy your oil in bulk and save money.

do yourself a favor and get one of those oil mix measuring bottles. they are like $3 and are sold at all the stores you buy boating and or fishing stuff. I got mine at the place they wear orange shirts. It makes measuring out the oil simple. this way you can buy your oil in bulk and save money.

Awesome....didn't know they made such a thing....been measuring it with one of my wifes old ounce measuring cups for years for the weed eater....guess this would make more sense. grin

Hey Shoot... You could just switch over to Amsoil and run that. I have a '77 Johnson 35 hp on my pontoon that I've been running Amsoil in for 7 or 8 years now and the darn thing runs better than ever. The correct Amsoil for that, is called 'Amsoil Saber outboard 100:1 Pre-mix'. I just got tired of stinking like the exhaust, and always having to replace plugs after a weekend or so of backtrolling. Now, I replace plugs maybe every 2 years, more often than not, I just regap the old ones and put them back in. 'TheOilman' can tell you more, but I'll guarantee, Once you try Amsoil, you won't go back to "dinosauer oil". Phred52

I just might do that...I thought the exact same thing last night when I got in my truck after taking the boat out...stunk bad like exhaust and wondered how to avoid that. Thx!