Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JRedig

9 foot + rods

16 posts in this topic

Who's using rods this length and what are your thoughts?

Looking at a predator xh right now.

Im using a 9'2" St Criox now!! Its a heavy action and works great for almost all lures. I bought it for double cowgirls and it works perfect!!

I have the 9ft predator heavy thorne custom with all syncork and absolutley love the rod. I can throw small spring bucktails and can throw the big 13's all day with it. If you are primarly going to throw cowgirls get the heavy cause it has the best tip I have seen and makes the day more comfortable throwing all day. If you plan on throwing pounders alot get the xh. just my .02 cents. hope this helps

You've seen mine - Thorne's custom 9 foot C series with syncork paired with a 7K. Has worked well for me. We should put your Saltist on it for a few tosses. I can throw pretty much everything from Baby Girls to Super Models on it.

Anyone notice the Syncork rubs on the inisde of the forearm? Got done yesterday and the inside of my left forearm is scraped up a bit. Am I just a wuss?

I used the rod which is just short of 9' yesterday, I like the length. I think it helped a bit on casting, the thumb and Saltist are still getting to know each other a bit! I like the heavy action, loaded up nicely casting and held backbone on the 8s where some rods you lose the speed factor on an 8 since the rod is torqued out.

Had a 9'6" Predator heavy built up for cowgirls topped with a Trinidad 16N. I absolutely love the rod for tossing cowgirls, as well as when I want to burn smaller ones. I would think that the xh would be getting a little too heavy. I've only been out twice now though and no muskies on it yet, hopefully soon. The extra length really helps take the stress off of my hands and wrist compared to last year when I was using a 7' as my girl rod. Just takes a little getting used to not having a levelwind.

Love 'em. Been using them for the last two years. Think I have 4 or 5 that are over 9'. I'm to the point that 8'6" even seems a little short to me.

The longest is a shade over 9'8" that will throw anything in the box.

Anyone notice the Syncork rubs on the inisde of the forearm? Got done yesterday and the inside of my left forearm is scraped up a bit. Am I just a wuss?

You may well be a wuss but after we pulled away from you yesterday I noticed the Syncork on the rods I have is much smoother than what's on the one you showed me -- maybe some 600 grit sandpaper would do the trick??

cjac, bring your gear to work and a change of clothes, we're fishin tomorrow night. Bring that rod, I wanna try it!

I have the 9' H Preadtor and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Will be getting a 9' XH hopefully yet this year.

Haven't put enough time on my 9' to know for sure yet. The basic concept that you will get deeper and wider figure 8's is what appealed me the most to buy a 9'. My go to rod has been the 8' 6" still, love it too much to give my 9' much play time, lol. I noticed that the combined weight of my 9' and my big reel is a little much though, so I'm a little skeptical at this point. The Fig. 8 may be wider and deeper, but if I can't move the darn thing, I don't know. We'll see what happens.

My 9' with the Toro on it is my lightest combo. A pleasure to cast with and figure 8's are a breeze. Even trolls well with small cranks.

I have one 9' MH and I love it... casts topwaters and gliders like a breeze... easier to figure 8 with... Last year I said I wouldnt go below 8'6 anymore... but maybe that'll change this year as I noticed I used the 9' more than I did 8'6 on Tonka tonite...

I'm running 3 - 9ft innovations rods and the 9ft lamiglass

MI Rods are

9' 4-16oz for pounders, curly sues, and mag dawgs. Works for big blades in a pinch doesn't load up well for casting but doesn't flex much which is nice in the 8

9' 2-10oz great for mag dawgs and it will be my big blade rod here pretty quick. Should load up good for casting and hopefully doesn't flex too much for the 8

9' 2-7oz Seems pretty nice all around for all but the lightest baits.

9' Lamiglass Not real happy with this the blank is too heavy/thick for the action. Will be nice for topwaters cranks and small tails. Liked it a lot better after taping 4 - 1oz egg sinkers to the but since it has a cap that the balancers won't fit over.

I would have liked to have gone all custom as those sticks are way nicer but I would rather have 4 production models vs 2 customs. I really like the long rods for casting and figure 8s. Just so much easier. One thing that really helps with the long rods is adding the balancers. Lots of people complain about why would you add the extra weight to a heavy rod but if your hand is closer to the balance point the item your holding feels much lighter.

My longest casting rod is a Compre 8' Heavy with a rod balancer.

When people started using 8 footers I thought "wow that is long and probably over kill" couple years later I bought one thinking I would try it just for bucktails, now I use it for almost everything and am thinking a 9 footer is worth a try.

Funny how trends change your relative thinking. There's probably guys reading this thinking "9 feet! in my day you only had one option, a 6' fiberglass pool cue."