• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for guys with Toros?

HugoBox

Haven't used mine too much yet but it's stood up to what I've thrown with it so far.

I've had my cousin, who is a novice muskie fisherman and not too great with a baitcaster, using it all season and he's been doing well with it and he hasn't had any problems. Haven't had him throw any big baits on it yet though.

Hiya -

I got a couple Toros last year about this time (this outdoor writing stuff has its perk sometimes ;)) and used mine all last season. When I first got them I thought they'd be spot duty reels for jigs and maybe topwaters. Now using them all the time. Love the things. Zero performance issues. I know early on in their production run last summer they had a couple issues, but they fixed them and replaced the problem reels. I kind of think those reels only went out to reps, not to stores...

I haven't heard much about problems with them though, and I know the saltwater guys are using the bejezus out of them.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I got a 60HS this year and I love the feel of the reel and like how easy it casts.... Ive used it a lot and its working great so far... The only thing I noticed is the reel actually gets "hot", I can feel it with my left hand, so im sure its just a matter of time before I roach it... but so far so good !

Like I said previously, I haven't had much of a chance to use my Toro yet, but my friend in my boat that also owns a new Toro has had a problem with his drag being too loose. He's got it cranked down, but on the occasion when he sets the hook on a log or another snag it reeeeally rips line out. He caught a fish boatside and didn't have a problem with the drag there at all, but I was wondering if this was an issue with anyone else thinking the drag could use a little more muscle.

what size rods are you guy's using? also is the retrieve smooth in that there's no real rod bounce? granted, a Cowgirl/Super M would make a winch on a tree bounce but is it alot or is it medium? and on normal stuff is it any?

i was thinking like RK that it might be good for toppers and such but after hearing these reports i may get one to try. Abu does have a good rep as far as standing behind their stuff.

Toro's are working fine, have had no complaints, I use my 50HS on a Thorne Bros.St.Croix 7'3" for Showgirls and Tops and the 60 on a 9' Thorne Bros. Predator on the bigger stuff. Both reels could work on either rod. Tight Lines!!!

I really tested out the Toro today, pulling blades for about 6 hours straight. I will be honest, I had a bit of trouble with the backlash on the reel. I think it had to do more with the wind and user error, but I have not had that much trouble with other reels. I took just a bit of line off and that seemed to help. I also had the gears not engage one time when I started reeling, but I have no idea if that was a freak occurance or something I will continue to deal with.

used mine on monday, was throwing a pounder and engaged the reel in mid flight. lets just say it doesnt real up any more. lure didnt stop, made a bad sound as the line kept going out.loved the real though will be getting it relaced

Used mine for the last 6 days up on LOTW. Handled jerk-baits and Topwater's like a champ. I'm glad I picked up a 60HS. I have noticed the free spool/thumb bar can be fussy at times but a very minor problem.

I picked up two Toro's this spring a regular retrieve 60, and a HS60. Got pretty good deals on them at shows. I was just about to jump ship over to Shimano, but couldn't pass up the deals on the Toro's.

I've fished with them about 6 times this year so far throwing just about everything but pounders. Absolutely love them. Coming from the old worn out 6500c3's I had, anything may have been better. But every time I pick one of them up, I can't be happier. Like said before, love how much better the fit in your hand. Fished 16 hours one day, my whole body ached, but my hands were fine. In days past I wouldln't have been able to unzip my fly to take a leak.

That said, I have a buddy who picked up a Toro 60HS this spring also, and has fished about the same amount. Last trip out his drag, or gears seemed to go out on it. He called up Reed's for a replacement which is in process. He talked to the Reed's guy to see if any others have had issues, and they said no, the Revo's are "bulletproof".

Time will tell though (guess that's the Abu skeptic showing through).