• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What would you do?

With [pleasebecomeasponsor], realistically they don't live forever and only some select fish will ever reach the record weight or that record wouldn't be is it 53 years old? But, when we release them we don't know which fish has the potential, we just treat them all like they might. I'd release her because I'd have no for sure way of knowing and I'd be sick to take a fish out of the system and find out it was 4-5 pounds or whatever off. So having the record would mean nothing to me. Probably bring more headaches than anything.

That would be cool to go along on a net survey w/DNR, especially on Millacs.

If you ever get the opportunity to volunteer your time for something like this, it's well worth it. I've never done it on Mille Lacs. But I've helped on 3 other lakes. Very cool to see all the different fish in the nets, not just the muskies. Big muskies, big walleyes, big crappies, etc...all in the same nets.

Aaron

You could do that to see how they work that in your area. The lakes I have helped with, the DNR knows that they can get volunteers through our Muskies, Inc. chapter. So they just let our chapter know where and when they're netting, and efforts are coordinated that way.

Aaron

Quote:
Probably bring more headaches than anything.

Couldn't agree more......

I've seen one fish in clean water on a daytime follow that I can't really compare to any others I've seen in length and moreso girth. 50 pounder maybe?? Who knows......but it was the biggest eyeball I've seen outside of the Jaws movies.

To each his own, but I'd let her go. Besides, think of the added pressure the lake would see, not to mention the endless B.S. and criticism and critique from the online peanut gallery you would open yourself up to. No thanks. I'd rather take a 2x4 across my own head at that point....

Anything that is a state record or close of any species would definitely put on the wall. The biggest reason I wouldn't get a replica is because no one would believe me in the first place. Seems every year someone gets a fish (any species) of extraordinary size and gets flack from every side. It wasn't measured properly, it was measured too good and kept out of the water too long, it was kept, it wasn't kept. Either way you're gonna get scrutinized, so I'll just take away all doubt and take it straight to the closest dnr office and make it official. Besides, a fish that old is gonna be nearing the end of it's lifespan anyways.

No ones going to believe you with the skin either all you have to do is look at the distant and recent past, typically when you start fishing for yourself and not beholden to others or their commentary the Muskie Gods will bless you (Ive seen it happen several times, karma, Yin Yang, whatever), but there are exceptions to the rule as well sometimes fish die.

The problem is that if you just go by the formula you're still not going to know if it's a record. I was just talking to Luke Ronnestran (sp) last night and we were talking big fish. He had pic after pic of big fish and he did weigh a few. The formula didn't really work on any of them. Some you'd think were in their 50's were in their 40's.

That being said, if I knew beyond a reasonable doubt that it was the record I would keep it and give it to the DNR. I know that there's a few over there that would like to see the record broken to acknowledge what they've done and what the fishery has become. I don't think I have to worry as I've never caught a verified 40#er much less 50#...