• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What would you do?

State would release.

World record I always thought I would keep it. However after seeing consistently how other people get dragged through the mud when they get a huge fish I'm not so sure I would bonk it now. I just don't know if it would be worth the hassle.

Things I have thought about that generally dictate how I choose to fish:

I don't need my name in an "official" book. Just think about it, that "big pike" pic that has been circling the internet for so long(and everyone on these forums hates being brought up) has gotten more attention than any world record fish ever has.

I never harvest animals for anything other than food. I don't participate in trophy hunting/fishing. The only reason I ever kill a fish is to use it for bait or to eat it myself. Additionally, mounted fish deteriorate. It is likely that a digital picture could last hundreds of years if not longer. Pure data can be replicated over perfectly.

I also don't give anyone who wants to legally harvest a fish a hard time. I'd love to fish for and harvest tuna, marlin, swordfish, chilean sea bass, and many other fish that are "politically incorrect" to kill(or just unhealthy to eat). I don't care what other people think, I do more than the average tree-hugger to promote eco-friendly behavior without being a jerk about it. I also do my best to keep fisheries clean and full of big healthy fish. With pretty strict regulations on keeping muskies, I'm not going to complain about the .0001% of fishermen who keep one.

That said, here is my personal policy on how to handle musky catches:

Any musky, even the smallest of the small, gets at least a picture.

45'' gets a couple of pictures, plus a pic of the release.

55'' gets a ton of pictures holding it and individually of the fish, a kiss on the top of the head, vid clip of the release, and additional measurements for possible replica mount.

State or world record gets the above, a lick for good luck, plus I lie about where it was caught.

if it was a world record I think you would be doing our dnr and muskie program a favor by keeping it,,Producing such a fish would be a wonderful compliment/testament to our DNR and a muskie program that is not really that old depending on what lake it was caught on.might gather a bit more funds and clout for the waters we really want to get stocked in the future.

if i got the record. i guess i'd have to follow my own rules. i have this rule in my boat, assuming i was in my boat.... if someone wants to keep any 'ski while in my boat. they have to let it rest for 30 minutes, jump in the water grab it by the tail and swim ashore. so far no muskie has lost. grin

I don't care what anyone says, State or World record, I'll take the bashing and ill feelings, all the haters can cry all they want and it wont matter to me because I know I did what I wanted to do, whats withing my right, I release em all not just the small ones.

FISH > EGO

She Swims.

i shared this story a year or so ago and i was asked (forget who) to share it in other places here on HSO and this seems a good spot for it. it's why she'd go back. in fact it's why any trophy species i catch goes back. the exact words are a little sketchy but the plot is on target.

my Grandpappy Amos took me out ''mooskie'' fishing when i was 9. typical i had plenty of bites and sightings but no landings for a couple years. never even caught a true trophy game fish other than pannies. we casted (i had the old red and white Abu with the poolstick deal goin' on!!) bucktails that day. on one cast the rod almost got yanked out of my hand and i ripped my rod back with everything i had. the fish screamed my drag out and the battle was on.

Grandpappy was coaching me and i was trying hard to listen but i was a kid and kept messing up. it got near enough so we could see it and my heart jumped and then Grandpappy said, "noordern pick, but she's a good'un boy''. i was bummed but excited at the same time, my first true big one but not a muskie. Grandpappy was patient with me and kept up the encouragement, which helped calm me down i think.

when he FINALLY netted it and set it in the boat i couldn't help myself . i was jumping up and down, screaming real loud, and all that other 9 year old kid stuff. he said ''i bet dat ones 15 pounds easy''. i was thinking i was going to bring that fish home and show my Mom and Dad and Brothers and all my Friends. i told my Grandpappy Amos that and he looked at me and said. ''boy, you kin keep dat fish if'n ya really wants to , but boy, let me ask ya 'dis. all that jumpin' up and down, screamin' and hollerin' and carrin' on you was doin... boy, why would you KILL somethin' that makes you feel so goll darned ALIVE''? i didn't have an answer, so i just took the fish and slipped it in the water and watched it swim away. he said " i'm real proud of you boy, no... ''man''. i'da been cryin' my eyes out first at yer age, come on let's go see about a mooskie, huh. mabe the fish a few miles away dint hear ya.'' we laughed and went up-river.

after that first one, the rest came easy. and i know how i'd feel if i caught a near 60 pound ''mooskie''.

I don't think I could kill it, no matter how big it was.

I had the priveledge of netting/surveying muskies in ML last spring with the DNR, we netted one that was right there at the mark, if not a little over. Just seeing it was a treat. If I ever caught one like it I probably would try and get come scale samples/fin clip like they did with all those fish though, might even try to take it in to a resort and weigh it if the fish was doing ok at that point. Any doubts though I'd have no problem letter her swim after a pic or two.