• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sioux Narrows Report

Hello all! 6 of us just returned last night from an excellent trip to the Sioux Narrows area. We fished from June 14-19 and it was excellent. I can't honestly say exactly where the walleyes were because they were everywhere! When we arrived the water temps were around 58 and the last day were about 68. It was very warm and sunny every day so I'm sure this led to some serious water warming. Jigging for walleyes using minnows early in the week produced nice sized fish from 15-25 feet of water. 30 feet and above they were small. No monsters from the group but a couple 23's and some 22's which we threw back, keeping 17's and 18's to eat.

After our limit was reached, which usually only took a couple hours we headed to the bays to cast for northern's and smallies. Let me just say that I have never caught so many walleyes from crank baits in my life. 20-23 inch walleyes were hitting everything I threw out. In 5 feet of water, 10 feet of water, 15 feet of water, sandy bottom, rocky bottom, weeds, it didn't matter. At least 15-20 a day. I don't believe I even caught a northern until the 3rd day! And then it switched. The temps came to about 63-65 degrees and now we were throwing cranks and spoons for northern and landed some nice ones. Biggest in the group was 41" along with a bunch of high 30's. We even brought in 3 Musky's off some spoons. 32, 38 and a 43. All in all an excellent trip and I'm depressed to have to go back to work tomorrow.

There was one small bay we were fishing that stayed around the 5-6 foot depth throughout. Light structure but nothing too heavy. I pulled about 3 walleye's, 4 smallies and a couple small northern out of there within an hour. It's like everything was mixed in and none of the 'fishing rules' applied! Great fun though!