Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Musky_Madness

Renting A Moving Truck...Best Company?

15 posts in this topic

Anyone have any experience renting moving trucks out there? I am trying to find the best company to work with. Please throw any suggestions out there. Thanks!

Reddy rents, has been good for me. Not a moving service though, if thats what your looking for.

I used ABF Freight to move from Ca. to Mn , they drop the trailer off and you have two days to load then they deliver to your destination and drop it off and you have two days to unload, worked great and very fair on the price, would definately use them again, hopefully not for a long time.No driving, no fueling up. Just my suggestion.

Not sure of one in Morrhead, but I've used Uhaul a couple of times. Go to pick up the truck to find they don't have one and don't guarentee them even though they take money done. Best bet is to find a local company.

Uhual is always an experience. I can't see how they can operate under some of their business practices.

When I reserve a truck I expect a truck to be there plain and simple. Nothing ruins moving day like not having the truck you were promised.

Most truck companies offer comparable trucks, I would look more closely at the reservation agreements. You want to make sure that the truck is going to be there when you need it.

I was warned about Uhaul when I moved from Rogers but didn't listen. The told me they would have a truck and trailer for me in Otsego, and I thought great. Come the day before the move, i went to get said truck and trailer, and was told I had to go to buffalo for the truck and st paul for the trailer. Now keep in mind, this is exactly what I was warned about, twice!!!! Called up a budget rental place and off we went. Uhaul might not be bad otherwise, but don't count on them to have what they "guarantee" they will have........

I had a similiar "We have your reservation, but we don't have your truck." experience with Budget. It's pretty much you either find a local company or you roll the dice with the national names.

Anyone have any luck with Penske? I've heard lots of good things and curious if any FM'ers can back that up?

Have you though about getting a POD or two? my buddy used one, granted it was a local move, but it worked very well.

PODS work very well, had friends that use them and they are very nice. You get a week to pack, move and unpack as well. That's nice.

Right after we got married, my wife and I moved to Arizona. We made the mistake of going thbrough U-Haul. They gave us a 15 year old truck for the trip and the tranny started to slip right away. We made it all the way through Montana and Idaho when the transimission gave out in the middle of Utah.

They were supposed to send another truck out and transfer our stuff, but noone showed up. Thankfully, some friendly peiple helped us move our stuff. The replacement Uhaul they gave us was a 20 year old model without AC - for a move in temps at 110 degrees.

Thats just the short end of the story, way more bad stuff than that. I WILL NEVER GO THROUGH UHAUL AGAIN!

When we moved back, we tried Penske. The trucks are a little larger, but they are in good shape. I don't think they keep them after 5 years or so. The best part is I could bargain over the phone with the Penske people, as they price matched. They also didn;t charge extra per mile over your expected moving distance. I even complained about the price of diesel and they lowered the rental price to warm me over. They went out of their way to assist me, and I strongly recommend them.

I recently did the PODS thing when I moved from Bloomington to Burnsville. Had it for a week before the move, they put it in storage for 5 days in between closings, and then delivered it to the new house the day before the closing so it was ready to go. They were good to work with and I would recommend them to anyone!

One about UHaul- If you have an Explorer, they won't rent a trailer to you, regardless of year. They haven't been tippy in quite a while, but they wouldn't rent one to my Dad who had an 05 Explorer. They didn't bother to tell him that before he came to pick it up. Luckily I was available to help out and use my Durango to pull it.

I have heard good things about Penske. I have had several problems with U-Haul and will not use them again.

#1 Was moving from Rochester to the cities. I made my reservation well in advance. I got a call the night before the move. "Yeah, this is Uhaul. You can pick the truck up tomorrow morning in Winona." Umm, that's quite a haul to do when you are expecting to be moving!!!

#2 Should have known better, but I was only moving a few miles, the Uhaul place was really close, and I had a voucher from my last complaint to their corporate office, so I used them again. I showed up to pick up the truck, which turned out to be a 20 year old International diesel. The guy gave me the keys and said, "There's your truck". Luckily, I can drive a stick, but I don't know what they would have done if I couldn't. Plus, there was no where in this truck that showed the shift pattern. I found reverse by trial and error. Then, as I was driving home with it, the "low oil" screeching buzzer started going off. I called in and was told, "We checked it, you should be fine." So, I just kept driving, all the while listening to that incessant buzzer. I complained when I dropped it off and was told, "Oh yeah, those diesels take quite a while to build up enough oil pressure."

Thanks for the room to vent! smile

Well just returned the Penske truck and everything went really smooth except the first 2 miles of the move. I got on the interstate in Moorhead, made it up to 60 and the coolant level light came on and then the engine temp started buzzing and the brake pressure light came on. So, pulled off on the next exit and called Penske and waited 35 mins on a tow truck and he messed around a little bit, added a gallon of coolant and couldn't really diagnose a problem. We got the go ahead from Penske and then 30 mins down I94 the brake pressure light came on again and we just kept going. The tow company and Penske thought it was a sensor error of some sort but because of the trouble light, cruise control was disabled. Other than that incident, all was well and would recommend again